Exhaust leak again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonGT

Oct 19, 2011
Sparta,WI
After fighting with a nasty exhaust leak on my pelpro a few seasons ago i shut it down last night before bed and started to smell exhaust. I went down stairs and the stove was shut down so i started it and then shut it down again thinking maybe it just shut the fans off a bit to soon which has happen before.

I noticed upon restarting/shutting down the air coming out of the heat tubes had a smoke smell. This tells me the smoke smell was behind the stove and being sucked up by the fan since the stove is a insert. Last time i fixed the exhaust i thought it was pretty bullet proof and should not leak again....a gas insert is sounding nicer and nicer to me.

I wrestled this with my Lopi Pioneer at first. I couldn't get a good seal around the exhaust tube even when putting a thick bead of sealant. So, I did both. I put a thick bead of sealant and then used the high temp aluminum tape (not duct tape) around the joint. Fixed it.

I occasionally still got a smell after shut down when it was damp and windy out. Turns out it was my door gasket.

Have you tried the LED flashlight trick in the dark and on startup? If there is a leak, you will see the wisps of smoke on startup reflecting on the LED light as you work it around the exhaust pipes.

I had an RTV seal break open after 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.