Existing Chimney 6 1x2" x 11". Wood Furnace in Basement Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

layshea

Jan 24, 2014
Hoosier
Hello all,

I am looking to set up a wood furnace in my basement. At this point I only have one pic and that is up my chimney. I have had a local chimney sweep and do it all fireplace and stove merchandiser take a look. Their recommendation is to use my chimney with tile liner as is -- simply attach a stove with appropriate hardware, 48"x48" heat shield above, mortar in thimble, etc.

My thought, I assumed I would need at least single wall pipe or a flexible liner throughout my existing chimney and flue tile. I have a spacious but not very functional basement with an old usable coal chute that I intend on sending my wood down for stacking.

Attached is a picture up my chimney and I will take more in the future as needed/wanted. The Englander 3000 sq. ft. is looking good in preliminary search which uses a 6" pipe.

Attachments

• Up Chimney.jpg
    Up Chimney.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
What size is the flue in that chimney? 2nd an insulated liner cuts down on the amount of creosote forming condensate by keep the flue hot. 3rd most units use a 6" dia. flue, a big old brick unit is hard to heat up ( causes draft problems because it is too large and the flow rate too slow ) tuff to keep hot ( if cools too much you get creoste deposits) and when cold is difficult to get a draft going in the correct direction

The chimney size is 6 1/2"x11". It would flow 2-3 times more than I would need?

Attachments

• 2014-01-25_15-03-13_229.jpg
    2014-01-25_15-03-13_229.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 202
I installed my wood furnace last year. I originally had a mortar lined chimney and was going to put a stainless liner in it. It turned out that I could not get a liner through it due to an offset in the flue. I went with a new stainless double wall system from Simpson (Duratec). I had to carry the old chimney out of the house in 5 gallon buckets. I am glad I put the new chimney in, if for no other reason than peace of mind. It did, however, add significantly to the install cost.

Even if the dealer says that the flue is useable, you simply cannot go wrong by adding a liner (properly installed, of course). From what I see in your pictures, the chimney has some miles on it, and is the clay liner cracked? If so, that is a problem. If you have the funds, definitely add a liner.

010.JPG
009.JPG
015.JPG

Basement installs are notorious for draft problems and using a non-insulated masonry flue only compounds it. Additionally because of the larger area and cooling effect & exhaust gases slowing down it tends to become a creosote manufacturing plant. Generally to get a 6" insulated liner down that will require busting out the clay flue pipe. You might have to go with a 5" which would be likely ok, As most often you end up with too strong a draft once the flue is hot. You can slip a plain liner down it and pour insulation around that which also works not quite as well as the other though but is a little less costly liner wise..

Basement installs are notorious for draft problems and using a non-insulated masonry flue only compounds it. Additionally because of the larger area and cooling effect & exhaust gases slowing down it tends to become a creosote manufacturing plant. Generally to get a 6" insulated liner down that will require busting out the clay flue pipe. You might have to go with a 5" which would be likely ok, As most often you end up with too strong a draft once the flue is hot. You can slip a plain liner down it and pour insulation around that which also works not quite as well as the other though but is a little less costly liner wise..

Thank you for you reply,

I am looking into an insulated rectangular chimney lining kit with approximate dimensions of 4" x 8". With the 6 1/2" depth of the existing flue I am cautious to try squeezing a round kit down or breaking out the tile liner if there are other options. Any experience with the rectangular liners, my circumstance might make it make sense?

Make a decision on your furnace BEFORE you do anything with the chimney. Efficient furnace's will need 6. Cheaper smoke dragons will need 8. Also I would recommend that if your going thru this expense don't cheap out on your furnace. IMHO the Kuuma or the caddy are the only way to go. I am biased to the Kuuma for I have one and believe there by far the best on the market. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.