Existing liner, new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
Central Indiana
New insert has arrived and has had paint cured out in the driveway. Glad I did it outside as it really smoked and stunk!

Existing 8" flex liner has had 5-10 gallons of Thermix dumped on top of the damper block off plate, then rest of chimney insulated with loose fill perlite. Tried to pull liner up slightly today to remove existing insert and couldn't get it to budge. So, on to plan B.

Plan B is to cut liner close to outlet on existing insert, remove insert, cut liner again higher up in throat of fp and install an adjustable section of pipe to the liner, get new insert in place, pull down pipe into stove collar and secure. Have a couple questions:

1) The only slip joint pipe I've seen is black pipe like this one. Has anyone seen this in SS? Do I need SS?

2) What to seal joints with - furnace cement? high temp RTV silicone? no sealing?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.