Existing single sided wood burning fireplace into double sided in/outdoor - Can it be done?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyW

Dec 30, 2006
Hello,
I have a wood burning fireplace in my living room. We just added a screened porch to the fireplace wall and would like to turn our single sided wood burning fireplace into a double sided fireplace that can be used on the porch. Can this be done? I'd like to be able to securely close each side when not in use.
Thanks for any advice.
Joy

Besides having about 6 tons of brick and motar above you , cutting out support can be dangerous if one does not know what they are doing. That said
the answer is yes and no. Your flue liner is sized for the opening that esist now. If you double that opening size you have to double the flue size, meaning rebiilding the entire chimney
Another possibility is you may be able to install a Pre bab fire place that can use your existing flue that opens to two sides.

One can not just cut out the rear side and expect the smoke shelf damper ah and flue liners to work the damper size would also have to be increased the throar size increased the smoke shelf configuration altered then supporting the new cut out. This is not a job for DIYers given your setup probably cannot be done

Two sets of glass fireplace doors would solve your 'sizing' problem and help eliminate low draft or cross draft issues. I don't know anything about the smoke shelf so I can't comment on that and I would agree that this is probably not a simple project with proper support over the new opening being extremely important.

If it could work most of the time, it drafts so poorly, they end up smoking out the home. Second the glass door ideas seems top solve the closing off the other side, but
the doors are not the tightest fit. Tremendouse amounts of air will escape around those doors, so much so ,your existing flue capacity will not exit the smoke ,but blow it back into the open side.
That said,. because glass doors are not adquetate seal again, and can be opened ,,it is not a permanent seal and the chimney has to be designed, factoring in the total opening,
meaning larger flue capacity resulting in a total rebuilding. One may be able to brick off the existing side and open it to your porch, but the throat smoke shelf damper areas would require being re worked. This wll be an expensive job. there is a lot more going on than just cutting a opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.