expanded polystyrene pipe insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guiness1976

Oct 22, 2008
sullivan county ny
Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out whether this expanded polystyrene pipe insulation that is sold on ebay (item# 130052829959)will work for my underground lines for my aquatherm boiler. I can get an endless 6mil plastic bag to put the insulated pipe in and keep the water out. I'm going 80'. Has anyone used a similar insulation? Thanks for your help.

It will work fine on two conditions:

1: You MUST COVER it.. It WILL absorb moisture...... Trust me, I know... That's what the previous owners of my place did with their OWB and when I trenched them up, they were wetter than a pool and heavier than a brick.

2: It must be FAR DOWN because styrofoam will compress from the weight above..... especially if it crosses a driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.