Expanding spray foam question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bapa323

Jan 21, 2022
Tower City Pa
Can anyone tell me if there is an expandable spray foam product that is safe for direct contact with the outside of class A chimney pipe?
I want to seal air gaps between my roof flashing and chimney pipe to keep insects out. I have a storm collar for rain but it isn't insect proof.

My class A is requiring a 2" gap before any combustible, per its UL listing.
Do you have a clearance distance?

All Class A requires a minimum of 2" clearance to combustibles I thought?
Anyway, yes mine does. That's why I'm asking if anyone is aware of a non-combustable expanding spray foam.

I would get sheet metal (flashing) precisely cut to size, and silicone caulk for the seams to do that.

Can anyone tell me if there is an expandable spray foam product that is safe for direct contact with the outside of class A chimney pipe?
I want to seal air gaps between my roof flashing and chimney pipe to keep insects out. I have a storm collar for rain but it isn't insect proof.
No spray foam. Is very combustible

Reactions: Bapa323
Use metal screening if insects are a bad problem.

If you can find metal (!) window screens. Normal screen may be too coarse.

I think I have found my solution. What do you think?

Screenshot_20221102-183609~2.png

I wouldn't. For hot air ducts.
While your chimney should not get to 600 F, I would still be hesitant.

Moreover, this tape is not non-combustible, and hence illegal to be within the clearance distance of your chimney.

I saw a spray in foam insulation fire in a steel quonset style potato cellar once.

I'd never put it anywhere in my house after that.
I have some spray foam in the house...if I had it to do over again I'd have Airkrete put in instead...way better product, and won't burn.

I know they make "firestop" spray foam, but when I read up on it there really seems to be very little difference from regular ole spray foam...other than the color...so not sure what the point is really?! (I know why you use it, just not why not to just use standard spray foam)
Edit: After watching the above video it appears that maybe it is just less flammable than the regular foam...

Reactions: begreen and Ashful
what is your plan w/ the giant hole at the top of the chimney? :)

None, use metal, stainless screening.

Hello. Just have a quick question. Did you have an idea of what it would cost to spray foam insulate a basement that is being refinished? It is stripped down to the studs and ready for insulation now. Will get a few quotes next week but thought I would ask you experts here. House is roughly 1700 square feet
In 2015, I paid the following:

R21+ on roof bays (570 sq.ft.): $2340
R21+ on walls (800 sq.ft.): $3040

They charged me an extra $150 to cover exposed joists and another $150 to cover exposed rafters, it's an old timber frame structure that was being finished with these partly exposed. They also had to bring in a generator to power the equipment, since it pulled more than the 60 amps I had available at that location, which cost an extra $300.

They ended up spraying at least 1.5x their min spec, or more, so final job probably averaged closer to R35. I was very happy with the result, but I'd want to do some research before using this product in a basement, where mold could be an issue. My job was in a carriage barn, all above grade.

Is that 800 sq ft wall space, or the (8 ft tall?) walls around an 800 sq ft space? The latter would, for a square space, be 1600 sq ft wall space.

Is that 800 sq ft wall space, or the (8 ft tall?) walls around an 800 sq ft space? The latter would, for a square space, be 1600 sq ft wall space.
800 sq.ft. wall space, as in 12 ft. high x 80 ft perimeter, minus 160 sq.ft. in doors.

Rough number, I didn't bother adding gable ends or subtracting windows, which probably roughly cancel each other.

Reactions: stoveliker
Status
Not open for further replies.