Expanding spray foam question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2015, I paid the following:

R21+ on roof bays (570 sq.ft.): $2340
R21+ on walls (800 sq.ft.): $3040

They charged me an extra $150 to cover exposed joists and another $150 to cover exposed rafters, it's an old timber frame structure that was being finished with these partly exposed. They also had to bring in a generator to power the equipment, since it pulled more than the 60 amps I had available at that location, which cost an extra $300.

They ended up spraying at least 1.5x their min spec, or more, so final job probably averaged closer to R35. I was very happy with the result, but I'd want to do some research before using this product in a basement, where mold could be an issue. My job was in a carriage barn, all above grade.

Doing walls and ceilings would be open cell, lamywaby is doing their basement which would be closed cell and priced at a different rate.

They charged me an extra $150 to cover exposed joists and another $150 to cover exposed rafters, it's an old timber frame structure that was being finished with these partly exposed. They also had to bring in a generator to power the equipment, since it pulled more than the 60 amps I had available at that location, which cost an extra $300.

They ended up spraying at least 1.5x their min spec, or more, so final job probably averaged closer to R35. I was very happy with the result, but I'd want to do some research before using this product in a basement, where mold could be an issue. My job was in a carriage barn, all above grade.
what did you determine about the mold?

Can anyone tell me if there is an expandable spray foam product that is safe for direct contact with the outside of class A chimney pipe?
I want to seal air gaps between my roof flashing and chimney pipe to keep insects out. I have a storm collar for rain but it isn't insect proof.
I don't know much about it, or if it's available as a product, but it should be- aircrete made with fire mortar?

b
Can anyone tell me if there is an expandable spray foam product that is safe for direct contact with the outside of class A chimney pipe?
I want to seal air gaps between my roof flashing and chimney pipe to keep insects out. I have a storm collar for rain but it isn't insect proof.
between the metal flue, and the wall element above the roof, I used fire retardant foam non-flammable (but up to a certain point) but note well, my house has 3 floors, I applied 9-10 meters away from the stove, and the temperature is very low up there, I should also seal the flue three meters from the stove but I have to find other solutions, like glass wool, stuff like that, because at this distance any foam will ignite

Not relevant to the OP's question. Start a thread in the DIY forum to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.