Expectations from a Wood Burning Appliance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benchwrench

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
State of Confusion
Since my install a few years ago;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/a-square-peg-in-a-round-hole.71287/page-3

I have come to the realization that my stove is "helping" keep my home warm. It does not heat it solely on its own when the temps dip below 20F. When there is wind with that, it is more pronounced.
I have learned to just deal with frigid temps by just turning on the furnace. Together with my furnace and stove the house gets up to temp rapidly. I set the thermostat to a comfortable setting and allow both to work in conjunction as this home is just too big and too drafty for one wood burning appliance.

The furnace cycles briefly once up to temp, largely due to the fact the stove is cycling down.
I find the farther away the outside temps dips down from 20F. The more the furnace will operate, and quite honestly it really isn't that much. Whereas the further up the thermometer outside from 20F, the furnace (for the most part) is not required or is very infrequently used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntindog1
That's what I have been told to expect from a wood stove. If you use your furnace in conjunction with the wood stove in extreme cold, neither system is working excessively. My house is very comfortable right now low teens last night, furnace only game on a couple of times.

Ps no worry about pipes freezing

Don't know much about an add on wood burning furnace.
There's a fireplace downstairs in our walk out basement that has never been used, so there is a means for an add on appliance but I don't really want to dance back and forth between two wood burners to feed and maintain them both.
I do like the idea that having some other stove working in the basement will also transfer heat upstairs plus keep the crawl spaces warm.
The basement also has registers plumbed from the mechanical room since it's designed for living space set up with a wet bar and bathroom. We just don't need or use it as a living space.

A wood furnace would be at the top of my investigative list, if I already had hot air ducting. A good one - such as a Caddy, Tundra or Kuuma.

Central heating vs. space heating - quite a difference in comfort potentials. Just check out all the threads about stoves not being up to the task in the stove forums when a cold snap sets in. Of course, furnaces are kind of behind a wood stove in the ambiance category - but for heating & comfort are far ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.