Expected Snowfall just upgraded here NE is your blower and generator ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
The last storm took a lot trees down and the snow was so heavy and wet that the blower was so stuck the belt popped off the tractor!!
We lost power for 6 Hours last time!
How about you? How long were you without power?
Before Sunday they did not know if the storm would just go out to sea or intensify and make snowfall? Well now they know!

It is colder now and we may get buried tomorrow!!
1st pic - Out road partially blocked from last storm!
2nd pic - This Tuesday’s expected snow estimate on Sunday
3rd pic - This Tuesday’s expected snow estimate upgraded on Monday
4th pic - Even more in the Boston Area! :)
5th pic - Northern NE !!! Berlin NH is the Jackpot area of 18 inches plus!

Attachments

• 85D1B5E5-D665-486E-811F-68F2A62985E9.png
    85D1B5E5-D665-486E-811F-68F2A62985E9.png
    971.8 KB · Views: 177
  • B4052728-998B-4BB4-B2A1-052B8C9546E5.png
    B4052728-998B-4BB4-B2A1-052B8C9546E5.png
    840.5 KB · Views: 148
  • D6EB96BA-08CF-4459-96AC-721E30177EFC.png
    D6EB96BA-08CF-4459-96AC-721E30177EFC.png
    725.2 KB · Views: 149
  • C47D1111-F1E1-475F-B2B6-99F003A4B61D.png
    C47D1111-F1E1-475F-B2B6-99F003A4B61D.png
    974.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 63DB39EB-4D5D-42B0-901F-A257E0927232.png
    63DB39EB-4D5D-42B0-901F-A257E0927232.png
    763.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
6 hrs is not a big deal locally. I probably wouldn't have started the generator. FWIW. my sister was out for 5 days in NYS.

Reactions: Don2222
We got about 17" of cement out of the last one. Never lost power. I'm not sure why, but I haven't seen a single tree down around here.

I think everyone's snow removal equipment broke in the last one. The guy who does the rough plow on my driveway slid off the side. There's a certain weight of snow where the truck is no longer plowing the snow, the snow is plowing the truck. It's a transmission shop's dream.

Reactions: Don2222
I generally don't fire up the generator and drag out the extension cords until it's been four or five hours and reports indicate there may be an extended outage . . .otherwise I just keep running the woodstove and wait it out. Of course if I had a generator that I could just wheel out, plug in a short cord and flip a switch inside instead of running extension cords everywhere I might get the generator going a little earlier. :) Last time I used the generator was in October when we were out of power for several days -- I think five days, maybe it was three.

We lucked out in the first storm wth rain.

In the second storm we lost power for 6 hours, got it back for 6, then lost it for 12. Half of town was out 3 days.

This morning it already blipped once and came back on. 6 hours in and Mass already has 90k houholds out. Looks just as bad outside as it did in the second storm :)

power.jpg 2018-03-13 09.00.01.jpg

The Berlin NH jackpot is more likely the Mt Washington jackpot, although it depends on the wrap around after the storm has gone past. There is NWS reporting station at Pinkham Notch NH, which is immediately downwind of Mt Washington down in a steep notch with another tall range of mountains to the east and located at 2000 feet . There is similar reporting station at Crawfords Notch at 1920 feet that also gets very high snow totals so their high snow totals get averaged into the snow maps. There is a natural bowl called Tuckerman's Ravine located above Pinkhams Notch that fills with snow all winter. Folks ski it into June some years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckerman_Ravine

I am located one town south of Berlin and we usually have somewhat reduced snowfall totals when a coastal Northeaster comes through as the mountains to our south act as a barrier. In that case North Conway NH and the NH Lakes Region will get higher totals. What happened last week was it started snowing on Wednesday and didnt stop until sometimes on Sunday as the storm stalled along the Maine New Brunswick border and created wrap around snow from the North. The mountains that normally shield us acted to trap the snow. My snow totals were around 16 inches until thursday night, another 6 into Friday and another 4 into Saturday with another 2 into Sunday morning.

The good news is the towns are used to it as long as its somewhat dry. The utilities have been very aggressive on trimming lines along the main circuits and transmission corridors and the area is net generator of power that is sent south. Worse case is they shut in the circuit heading south. There are some towns in the area who long ago decided not to run the power lines along the roads and rather through the woods sometimes quite a distance from the road. A lot of summer folks dont like the right of ways trimmed as they are only here during the summer so the year round folks plan on long outages. The utility has one all terrain bucket truck which is a bucket mounted on a skidder chassis.

The town to the west of me has the highest design ground snow load in NH, its about 3 times the normal amount used in southern NH and muhc of New England.

I expect at the end of this I will have more snow on the ground than at any point all winter.

.....There is a natural bowl called Tuckerman's Ravine located above Pinkhams Notch that fills with snow all winter. Folks ski it into June some years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckerman_Ravine

I am located one town south of Berlin and we usually have somewhat reduced snowfall totals when a coastal Northeaster comes through as the mountains to our south act as a barrier. In that case North Conway NH and the NH Lakes Region will get higher totals. ....

I skied the Tuckerman Ravine for six weekends back in 1966. Last day for me there was June 18. I was a couple years or so younger then, though, so I didn't mind having to backpack my skis, boots, poles, tent, sleeping bag, food, etc. up the 2.4 miles from the highway into the shelter area. By mid-June that year, the snow had retreated to the bowl itself, another half mile up the trail. No lifts. Man, that was some skiing experience.

Here in the NH lakes region, at my house we're in the "snow shadow" of the Ossipee mountains, so we often see snow totals considerably less than reported in surrounding areas. Last week's storm left a measly 5" right here, while not far away nearly twice that was reported. By the time I blew it on Friday morning, it had settled to half that under its own weight. I didn't even bother to clear a path to the wood shed. I just dragged the yard cart over what was left of the snow. Some " storm." But other folks elsewhere got pounded, for sure.

Now the storm even has a name now
Skylar !!!
See pic below!

Attachments

• 8270423E-77A4-4001-ADA4-F1EB4E41BB99.png
    8270423E-77A4-4001-ADA4-F1EB4E41BB99.png
    410 KB · Views: 154
this happened in 2015. 3 big snow storms one right after the other in march. bang bang bang. that was my last year plowing. and the time before then was 2010.

Just got done round two of snowblowing. I cleared about 12 inches last night and another 8-10 this morning. Luckily wasn't super heavy like last week, just normal wet snow.

Now the storm even has a name now
Skylar !!!
See pic below!

I'm not old, but I am old fashioned. I refuse to name or give in to the idea of naming snowstorms.

Just got done round two of snowblowing. I cleared about 12 inches last night and another 8-10 this morning. Luckily wasn't super heavy like last week, just normal wet snow.

I don't think we got that much in Unity . . . I didn't measure, but it looked to be about 8 or 9 inches when I plowed last night . . . and then maybe a foot or so this morning.

As you mentioned it was less wet . . . more of a damp/powder mix which made for easy plowing.

I did take a picture this morning of the snow that dumped off the back roof of the house/porch . . . other than a few inches at the top the entire doorway was blocked by snow. I'll have to post it at a later date when I download it off the camera.

I think the mountains did their thing for me so far, the snow depths in the yard look to be in 14" range, areas to the south of the mountains got far more. Of course its still snowing with 2 to 5" additional today.

just to be mean - SEWisconsin - Sun is shining, might make 46deg F today.

Reactions: Knots
Well - this'll take a while to melt. It's hard to believe I could see 80% of the ground a couple of weeks ago.
DSC02730.JPG

Hello
Just heard Methuen Mass is the official jackpot area according to WCVB -TV channel 5 with 28.3 inches of snow from storm Skylar !!!

did i tell ya? i like snow as long as it isn't in mass

did i tell ya? i like snow as long as it isn't in mass
That's the way I like it, up in the mountains, but not at our house.

Looks like this weeks' nor'easter got cancelled - if the forecast holds.

Now, if the temperatures would just start to up a little...

Reactions: firefighterjake
The reason we are missing out on this weeks northeaster is we have strong high pressure blocking the front. If it was warm we would get more snow.

Definitely not an early spring!

Folks I know in NW CT and on Long Island say their daffodils are blooming. Spring is coming.

Folks I know in NW CT and on Long Island say their daffodils are blooming. Spring is coming.

No daffodils up here . . .

Pics from this past weekend . . .

Attachments

• sled1.jpg
    sled1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 120
  • sled2.jpg
    sled2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 127
  • sled3.jpg
    sled3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 113