Experience with these pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jedder

Oct 10, 2018
Maine
I've been lurking on hearth quite a bit lately, finally making a post. I just ordered in a Castle Serenity pellet stove and doing 4" piping due to the kit being like $20 cheaper. Not sure if the 4" was a mistake but I'll see I guess. Oil price increase and $500 rebate on the stove definitely pushed my decision. That's my back story of where I stand.

Now for pellets not really sure which ones to purchase. I can't get the following.

Maine woods softwood $264
La Crete $287
Cubex $287
Spruce Pointe $287
Okanagan $299
Greene team platinum is at Lowe's not sure of price per ton.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Sorry for length of the post.

All of the pellets you listed are considered decent pellets by most. The thing is some stoves burn some pellets better than others so ideally you should buy four of five bags of a few brands to see what works best with your stove.

Great advice, try a few bags first.
Since you asked about Green Team Platinum.
$6.29 x 50=$314.50 a ton
5% discount on 50 bags. ( $299.00 a ton)
5% discount when you use the lowes Advantage card. Apply online.
10% Military. Apply online.
You can have the Advantage discount or the Military discount but you can't have both.

Around here Platinum only available through Lowes but you might find them in a different bag different name.
For now try a few bags first, get some experience adjusting the stove.

Good luck with your New stove.
Dan

Thanks for the replies guys, I am going to try a couple bags of La Crete first. I'm also debating on buying a ton from a person I used to work with, he found a different job at a pellet mill. He can get me a ton using his discount for $150, just not sure which brand they are due to the company making multiple different "branded" products.

Not sure if your around a Menards but they usually have Somerset Hardwood Premium bags. If you buy a ton or more, you get volume discount. 11% rebate right now also so you can get a ton for 175$ pre-tax.

I wish I was near a Menards but unfortunately I am not. The pellet factory he works at is Lignetics, not sure exactly which one it will be yet though. Waiting to hear back from him.

Damn! Lignetics or re-bagged @ $150 a ton? I'd be buying your buddy a case of beer and stocking up!

I'm not sure what they will be bagged as, seems they have quite a few pellet plants across the country. But he does work at the one in Maine so I will see when he drops them off. Believe the 27th I'm getting them.