Pellet vent size question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jedder

Oct 10, 2018
Maine
I've searched the forum some and can't really find an answer.

Besides 15 feet runs does the 4" pellet vent pipe hold any advantages or disadvantages? Like can more heat escape with a 4" pipe? I'm new to pellet stoves and trying to get all the information and understanding I can.

I'm doing roughly a 3 foot rise then going out. 4" pipe vent kit at home Depot is $20 cheaper then the 3" kit, does it hurt to just use the 4" kit? Castle Serenity is the stove I'm getting, actually stove is arriving today.

4 inch pipe will allow you to burn more pellets before you need to clean out ash from the flue pipes. I see no downside, other than the 4 inch pipe costs more.

I would recommend you follow your manual requirements. Remember that 15' feet requires 4", however, every 45, clean out and T must be taken into the equation.

For whatever reason the 4" vent kit was $207 and 3" vent kit was $229. Same parts included. I have the T going up like 3 to 4 feet then venting outside. Pretty simple setup I believe. Thanks for the responses.