Experienced A First Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimney Smoke

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2013
Maine
I've never experienced a cold flue draft reversal before today. Got home from work to a 60 degree house and the outside temp was 35 with a slight breeze. Started the fire with my normal double pine split with newspaper and kindling in the middle with a small pine split on top of the kindling. Lit the paper and it started burning like normal. Pushed the door closed so the latch was touching the stove body, leaving about 1/2 of open space. After about 30 seconds smoke started coming out the door and shortly after that was pouring from the bottom of the stove. Cracked two windows for some cross draft and closed the stove door. The draft reversed itself after about a minute but it stunk up the house.

Also it could be a cap screen plugging up. That's how it begins. Slower draft at the startup the smoke can't get through the cap, but when the chimney heats up the better draft makes it work.

Definitely not a plugged screen. Brand new chimney installed about 3 weeks ago. Chimney is still clean as a whistle - I burn a little on the hot side to prevent accumulation. In hindsight, this is the first time I've started the stove in it's new location with the dryer running as well. That may have done it.

I usually have what you said happen about once a burning season, for whatever reason. I can tell if it is going to happen because when I put my hand inside the stove I feel a very cold "downdraft", and like you said once the intake air is increased with open doors and windows it corrects itself but the house is already smoked up. I didn't have it happen last year though, and am interested in seeing if I get it this year because I had a new "anti-bird" cap put on that replaced the 26 year-old more enclosed one that was on there, and this new one has more openings for better drafting. So we'll see, but yes it is a pain when it happens!

I have that occasionally. I have a self lighting blow torch I just shove that in there for 30-60 seconds before I start my fires just to make sure. once the fire is started I have never had a issue.

You didn't mention what floor level the stove was on, very common with basement installs. Cure is to preheat flue a bit -high dryer, torch, even just the exhaust or blower function of shop vac for a bit can do wonders.

Last edited:
Kind of funny actually. The first 2 winters I was in the house this stove was in the basement about 8 feet away from the dryer and I never had an issue. The stove is now on the first floor. I strongly suspect it was the dryer but haven't tried replicating the situation yet.

I confirmed today it was the dryer. I got home from work and the wife had the dryer (in the basement) going. She said it had been going for close to an hour. I opened the stove and felt cool air coming in. I got ready to light the fire and had her stand next to the dryer. I lit the fire and the smoke slowly rolled around in the firebox and didn't go up the flue. I told her to turn the dryer off and within 2 seconds had bright orange flames and no smoke. Very strange I never experienced this with the stove in the basement a few feet from the dryer. The only thing I can think of is the second flue in the basement for the boiler was the path of least resistance to pull air in and it never came down the stove flue.

Not uncommon with a basement install. Add an outside air kit and make sure there are no open windows upstairs or leaky can lights, or attic hatch, etc..

Not uncommon with a basement install. Add an outside air kit and make sure there are no open windows upstairs or leaky can lights, or attic hatch, etc..
Been here long? ;)

That's why it's strange. It was a basement install for two years and I didn't see this issue at all. Now it's not a basement install - it's on the first floor, and I see the issue.

That's why it's strange. It was a basement install for two years and I didn't see this issue at all. Now it's not a basement install - it's on the first floor, and I see the issue.
But different flu. Are you using the same chimney pipe?

I also prefer to use a firestarter without chemicals instead of newspaper. No fly ash and it will burn longer than the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.