Extended hearth finished

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones

Feb 16, 2007
Tennessee
Finally extended the hearth before it gets cold. Onsite inspector was there also.

Attachments

• Img_0461.jpg
    Img_0461.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Img_0462.jpg
    Img_0462.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 988
  • Img_0484.jpg
    Img_0484.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Img_0487.jpg
    Img_0487.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 879
Looks Good! Was the inspector checking out the tile job or wondering where the nice warm fire was?

She and her sister always has to be under foot. Not looking for a fire today 72°

so i could say make a portable extended hearth? some hardy backerboard some tiles on it felt on the bottom pick it up at the end of the season???

iceman said:
so i could say make a portable extended hearth? some hardy backerboard some tiles on it felt on the bottom pick it up at the end of the season???

That's what I do. Others may not agree.

Doubt it would pass inspection. Only my opinion. Same as a flame retardent rug.

Bones said:
Doubt it would pass inspection. Only my opinion. Same as a flame retardent rug.

Actually there is nothing in the codes that prohibits a portable hearth pad - As long as the pad meets whatever R-value requirements are specified in the stove manual, (and I don't know of any flame retardant rugs that would) a portable pad or extension is fine.

Frankly, I'm not sure I agree with the code in this respect, as if I were an inspector I'd be worried about whether the extension would get picked up and stuffed in a closet as soon as I walked out the door. A permanent pad could also be removed, but that's a lot less likely.

Gooserider

I would be concerned with the gap between pad and hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.