Extending SS Chimney for Better Draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edn

Jun 19, 2017
Buffalo NY
I have an operating wood stove (inspected & certified) with DuraPlus SS insulated chimney and DuraPlus Chimney Cap. It extends 36 inches above the nearest roof ridge. For better draft, I want to increase the height and looking for a less expensive option than another DuraPlus SS piece. Possible single wall black steel flue piece?

The same chimney pipe must be used to extend it, no shortcuts allowed or recommended.

Is this for an old stove? How tall is the flue now, from stove to chimney cap? Are there any tees or elbows or is it straight up?

Vogelzang wood stove with 6 inch flue. New in Fall 2016, operated for one heating season. Stove to cap distance is 14 ft with two, 45 degree elbows. I get a puff of smoke out the door when loading more wood.

Which model VG stove? (got pic?) If it's an EPA model taking it up another 3 ft should help.