exterior chimney for cape

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rich81

Dec 10, 2006
hello all, i am considering installing a woodstove in my living room. i currently have a PE super 27 in the basement and it does well with heating my home, considering my second floor is unfinished. unfortunately i have to run an exterior chimney right out thru the front of my home. i know the disadvantages of exterior chimneys and they don't look all that great either. with all that being said how far up would i have to run chimney? i have seen two other homes in my area with the same set up and the chimney doesn't even go half way near the peak of their roof. if im leaving any thing out let me know, if pics will help i'll get some. just putting the question out there and looking for a little help. thanks. here are some pics thought i would throw the wood pile in there too almost six cord from what you can see the car is hiding another 2 cord

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

You would have to go up 12 feet from the roof (assuming that's a 12/12/ pitch) . If you could put the chimney on the gable end things might go easier...

Kenn said:
You would have to go up 12 feet from the roof (assuming that's a 12/12/ pitch) . If you could put the chimney on the gable end things might go easier...

12 feet from the eeves? my living room is the room with the ac in the front window

Can you corner install and come up through the roof? That will be a much better and cleaner looking installation.

BeGreen said:
Can you corner install and come up through the roof? That will be a much better and cleaner looking installation.

yes that is an option. my second floor is unfinished so i'm assuming that would make it easier? how much more expensive would this be?

Glowball Worming Bust said:
Kenn said:
good idea, considering snowslide from roof will mess with chimney.

didn't think of the snow!! with all the snow we got last year i'm thinking it would put a beating on the pipe. thanks for the ideas guys

rich81 said:
BeGreen said:

yes that is an option. my second floor is unfinished so i'm assuming that would make it easier? how much more expensive would this be?

The cost might be a little less actually. Functionally, the stove will get better draft, start easier, there will be less creosote buildup and it will be easy to clean. It would be going up in useless low knee-wall space so this seems like a natural for this type of installation. Visually, it would be dramatically better.

BeGreen said:
rich81 said:
BeGreen said:

The cost might be a little less actually. Functionally, the stove will get better draft, start easier, there will be less creosote buildup and it will be easy to clean. It would be going up in useless low knee-wall space so this seems like a natural for this type of installation. Visually, it would be dramatically better.

would the 12 foot rule still apply? forgive me if i sound ignorant but my other stove was installed professionally. how much you thinking roughly for the pipe???

Your chimney must be 2 feet higher than your roof within a 10 foot radius, That's where I got the 12 feet.

For my chimney, out and up,using metalbestos superpro and 18 feet of 6" pipe, about $1500. Doesn't include the stove pipe and any enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.