exterior chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iatrapper

Jan 27, 2014
Iowa
Are there and disadvantages to running stainless steel double wall up the outside of my house, it would b a lot easyer than putting a new linner in my existing brick chimney that has no liner at all. Ive herd it wont draw as good and its more likely to build up creosote, but thats just what ive herd. I c a lota people have done it. What do guys think? Oh and im only planning on living here a few more years and plan on taking the wood furnace and double wall with me.

If you mean insulated stainless class a chimney then no there are not many disadvantages other than it doesn't look very good. If it is double wall air cooled chimney then yes they tend t make more creosote due to the lower flue temps

Yes it would b insu
If you mean insulated stainless class a chimney then no there are not many disadvantages other than it doesn't look very good. If it is double wall air cooled chimney then yes they tend t make more creosote due to the lower flue temps[/quot

Yes it would b insulated double wall. Im aware it would look like crap.

then it should work ok

Thats good to hear, just one of the options im considering. Sure b easyer than dropping a new linner down my chimney. Being a bricklayer id rather b on scaffold beside my house than on the roof.

If it were me I would reline the masonry chimney though. Mainly for the aesthetic issue but I would bet it would end up cheaper to reline the existing chimney even if you go with heavy wall liner and insulation. And yes you should insulate it. besides you are a brick layer you should have a masonry chimney

If i was gona live here the rest of my life i would have a nice redone chimney, but im trying to keap it cheap and easy for this install. I have considered the flexible liner for my existing chimney but cant decide.

Price them both out if you insulate the flex liner the performance and safety should be about the same so it comes down to price. Neither one should be a very hard install unless you need to take out the clay liners in order to be able to insulate the flex liner.

Thers no clay liner to remove, just a single width brick chimney, 8x12 inside. Wood furnace calls for a 6 inch chimney. Do u now how wide a 6 inch flex liner with insulation and mesh is?

It should fit fine you need about 7.5" to easily fit 6" with 1/2" blanket.

Status
Not open for further replies.