Extreme Power 4-n-1 Weed trimmer/pruner/brush cutter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

I was in the market for a Hedge trimmer for my Husqvarna Weed eater. After seeing the $279.99 price tag at my dealer, I looked elsewhere. I started online and found the Husqvarna unit a little cheaper......... Then I stumbled across this....

It's an "Extreme Power" weed eater that has 4 tools that come with it. A Pole saw (12" bar and 3/8" full chisel chain, with a file to sharpen) , a hedge trimmer (16" cutting head), a brush cutter (14" diameter cutting blade), and a dual line bump trimmer head (17" cutting width). Oh, and a 3 ft extra length of shaft for any of the attachments. :) All for $214.and change

It came with a full tool kit, that included several wrenches, a scrench, a screwdriver, couple Allen's, full manual, a extra tank that allows to mix a full tank with where to fill with gas and where to finish with oil and shake (wont use, but would be handy for Hank the homeowner)

The good. Cheap!! free shipping!! Starts right up (has some great compression, gonna check after break in) has a shoulder strap to take off the weight, has a solid shaft inside the unit, extension, and the all the attachments. Has a full skid plate, a decent sized air filter, good guarding from muffler, a fully adjustable carb :))), and the entire unit was just over $200!!!

The bad. It's a little heavy (has shoulder strap), says to mix to 25:1 (we'll see about that?), not sure what the actual maker of the power head is? Thought it was a Red Max? But can't find an exact match? Other than that? Can't find any bads.

Either way. For the price, it can't be beat. With all 4 attachments and free shipping to my door from California.

Will be updating over the next week and a half. After using all the attachments and breaking in. I have to work till Friday, but I am off from this Sat till next Sun (9 days). Gonna get some run time on the pruner saw. :) that and the hedge trimmer are well worth the price alone. Even without a power head.

Time will tell if it lasts

(Sorry for the sorry cell phone pics :()

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if it only lasts 5 years that's a good deal.

It's Chinese.... IIRC, it's based on the Tanaka units. We've had discussions about Chinese saws in the past, and it's a bit of a gamble on how they work.

Based on my experience with Chinese OPE, be sure that you check the bolts on a regular basis. In fact, it is worth your time to buy some blue Loctite, and start now before it becomes a serious problem for you..... Oh, and be ready for the starter cord to break - it's quite common....

Just my 5 cents....

It's Chinese.... IIRC, it's based on the Tanaka units. We've had discussions about Chinese saws in the past, and it's a bit of a gamble on how they work.

Based on my experience with Chinese OPE, be sure that you check the bolts on a regular basis. In fact, it is worth your time to buy some blue Loctite, and start now before it becomes a serious problem for you..... Oh, and be ready for the starter cord to break - it's quite common....

Just my 5 cents....

I've got a spool of stock Stihl Rope handy. Can replace that in a Jiffy. That is common practice on most any saw I work on now. About 5 min and done.

As for Chinese. Yeah. It prob is. But for the price and what I will use it for? No doubt I should get my moneys worth.

I have a Husq and a Poulon Pro for weed whacking. I needed a Hedge trimmer (my cheap Weed Eater brand 2 cycle unit chit the bed after 5 yrs). The pole saw attachment is just a plus :) Although, as good as it ran tonight? It may be a solid performer!?!

The Poulan can be seen in the pic above and here is the Husq. Just couldn't bring myself to spend $250-$275 on just the hedge unit.

IMG_20130423_201156_896.jpg IMG_20130423_201113_815.jpg

It looks like a Tanaka copy. A couple important things to note will be vibration and noise. Both add a lot to fatigue when trimming.

Pond still needs trimmed... I won't spray that close to it. As for the house? Yep. I spray a 8"-12" border around everything! But I bought this mainly for the hedge and pole saw :cool:. I have enough weed wackers and chain saws. CAD=TAD?!?! LOL

I bought a new 4 gal Husq sprayer this year too :) The one last year was Garbage. It worked OK. But literally only lasted a season. I have about 4-5 1 and 2 gallon reg sprayers. But a 4-5 gal backpack unit is the way to go. ;lol

IMG_20130514_190353_828.jpg

I'm watching for a hedge trimmer, and there are times when I could use a half-decent pole saw. Stihl getting by with my Stihl trimmer. Very interesting, and I'll be watching this thread - but where did you get it? Gotta link?

And since someone mentioned Tanaka - who's got a good parts source? No dealers around here - we've got some gas drills here that are needing some attention...

Reactions: DexterDay
i was intrigued so i went looking, google '4 in 1 Pole Saw Grass Tree Weed Cutter 33cc' or 'X1064 4 in 1 Gas Chainsaw Trimmer'

Yeah. They are on a site that has regular "Auctions" :) Used the pole saw yesterday.. I'm impressed

There are some with BIN prices and one currently up for auction. With a little over a day left. Its $209 now.

I've got a spool of stock Stihl Rope handy. Can replace that in a Jiffy. That is common practice on most any saw I work on now. About 5 min and done.

As for Chinese. Yeah. It prob is. But for the price and what I will use it for? No doubt I should get my moneys worth.

I have a Husq and a Poulon Pro for weed whacking. I needed a Hedge trimmer (my cheap Weed Eater brand 2 cycle unit chit the bed after 5 yrs). The pole saw attachment is just a plus :) Although, as good as it ran tonight? It may be a solid performer!?!

The Poulan can be seen in the pic above and here is the Husq. Just couldn't bring myself to spend $250-$275 on just the hedge unit.

View attachment 103265 View attachment 103266

Geez...even the trimmer is spotless. That's no easy task...you gotta want it.

I pressure wash all my equipment every Spring (Rototiller, weed wackers, push mower, Dixie chopper, etc.

That pic was after washing. Only takes about an hour every year and its all clean.

I'm a little anal about cleanliness... But my Father told if you want your stuff to last? You better take care of it. ;) Plus, the resale value is higher when they look good!! :cool:

Attachments

• 2012-04-29_18-13-37_484.jpg
    2012-04-29_18-13-37_484.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 285
I'm pretty much the same way. Tiller gets sprayed down every other use. Mower gets blown down with the leaf blower after every use, or sprayed down after cutting wet grass. ATV gets hosed down after every time in the mud. Splitter gets blown/hosed after every use. Saws get blown down with compressor after every use.

The trimmer, however, usually stays dirty except for a once/year washing. I hate trimming...that's probably why it gets neglected. I earned my way onto the mowing crew in high school by trimming a pretty big cemetery. Took a solid 30 hours/week. That will literally ruin you on trimming for life.

Trimmers stay presentable if you hose the business end every time you use it and wipe the cooling air intake area as well. Whatever is left, the pressure washer will fix whenever the mood strikes.

One note to you guys cleaning your mowers with water... Make sure you get them clean. Water + grass clippings is much worse than doing nothing. Leaf blower or a quick blast of shop air works well most of the time. For the underside.... Keep using those wash ports that you connect a hose to. Spindle/bearing replacement jobs are easy money!

I have used all but the Brush cutting head on this thing and as I noted earlier, I am likely only going to use it for the Pole saw and hedge trimmer attachment.

The pole saw cut well (3/8" Full chisel chain) and hedge trimmer also worked well. Although I had to change the hedge trimmer head angle a few times on each bush/hedge/shrub, I guess that it was still MUCH easier than using a ladder (as I have in yrs past).

Says to run 25:1? I only run 50:1 and it performs great. Carb is completely tunable and with today's oil? the old 25:1 or 32:1 engines can all handle 50:1. Its revs quick and "four strokes" at the top of its RPM range.

So far it has proved its $200 (a little over that) cost to be well worth. When compared to a like machine with all 4 attachments? You are looking at a $400-$650 machine. So itsbwell worth it, in my eyes.

[/SIZE]Yep. I spray a 8"-12" border around everything! :cool::);lol

The only way to fly in my opinion! Once it all dies and turns to dirt it looks great, worth waiting for the brown circles to go away to only trim a couple times/year.

So the consumables (saw blade, hedge blade, trimmer reel/line, saw bar & chain) seem to be 'normal' fitments?

Just wondering if they're something wierd or odd sized that you wouldn't be able to find replacements for when they wear out or break.

I'd likely be having one by now if I could get it for what you did. With shipping & duty or taxes I think it would be close to $350 at my door up here. Still a lot cheaper than a 'name brand' setup - but I'm not sure I'd use the whole setup. Hedge trimmer & pole saw for sure.

Looks like a nice setup if all works well. Price sounds good too. Good luck with it Dexter.

Oh and the hedge trimmer also doubles as a Sickle. I used it on some very thick and atrocious weeds around my mail box.

Cuts a nice and level path very fast.

Im hoping the longevity is similar to my Poulan Pro that I have beaten to death over the years and still starts and runs without question. :)

Oh and the hedge trimmer also doubles as a Sickle. I used it on some very thick and atrocious weeds around my mail box.

Cuts a nice and level path very fast.

Im hoping the longevity is similar to my Poulan Pro that I have beaten to death over the years and still starts and runs without question. :)
I was in the market for a Hedge trimmer for my Husqvarna Weed eater. After seeing the $279.99 price tag at my dealer, I looked elsewhere. I started online and found the Husqvarna unit a little cheaper......... Then I stumbled across this....

It's an "Extreme Power" weed eater that has 4 tools that come with it. A Pole saw (12" bar and 3/8" full chisel chain, with a file to sharpen) , a hedge trimmer (16" cutting head), a brush cutter (14" diameter cutting blade), and a dual line bump trimmer head (17" cutting width). Oh, and a 3 ft extra length of shaft for any of the attachments. :) All for $214.and change

It came with a full tool kit, that included several wrenches, a scrench, a screwdriver, couple Allen's, full manual, a extra tank that allows to mix a full tank with where to fill with gas and where to finish with oil and shake (wont use, but would be handy for Hank the homeowner)

The good. Cheap!! free shipping!! Starts right up (has some great compression, gonna check after break in) has a shoulder strap to take off the weight, has a solid shaft inside the unit, extension, and the all the attachments. Has a full skid plate, a decent sized air filter, good guarding from muffler, a fully adjustable carb :))), and the entire unit was just over $200!!!

The bad. It's a little heavy (has shoulder strap), says to mix to 25:1 (we'll see about that?), not sure what the actual maker of the power head is? Thought it was a Red Max? But can't find an exact match? Other than that? Can't find any bads.

Either way. For the price, it can't be beat. With all 4 attachments and free shipping to my door from California.

Will be updating over the next week and a half. After using all the attachments and breaking in. I have to work till Friday, but I am off from this Sat till next Sun (9 days). Gonna get some run time on the pruner saw. :) that and the hedge trimmer are well worth the price alone. Even without a power head.

Time will tell if it lasts

(Sorry for the sorry cell phone pics :()

View attachment 103256 View attachment 103257 View attachment 103258 View attachment 103259 View attachment 103260 View attachment 103261

I'm about to commit to one of these from eBay - $239 with free shipping. I really only need the pole saw part. Any thoughts...still running?? Is the pole telescoping or extra long? I can't tell from the picture or description what my reach will be with the saw.

I always wonder about China knockoffs. I've had some really good luck but I wonder on a product like this what happens if I need parts. Are things like filters, saw chains, etc. the same as other more standard brands. How about more serious stuff.

Thanks,
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.