F Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
:) don't know how you guys do it - burning some pine tonight and it seems like i am loading every 10 minutes

sure it weighs less, is much easier to work with than hard woods and gives off great heat but can you guys ever leave the stove ;)

just kidding it's burning fine but way too fast

You should try some western red cedar. I've got about three mature trees that need to come down and I'll certainly use it for firewood, but it makes pine look like a hardwood by comparison. I swear, it's so light when it dries they could make those toy air-planes out of it.

Burns great...some nice dry pine in a smouldering stove is like tossing in nepalm.

My problem is all the pine I've been splitting is possibly the most difficult wood I've ever split. It was one of those trees that has lateral branches every few inches.

You really need to be retired to burn Pine. :p Rick

I LOVE pine. And the blurred vision. And the hairy palms. And the chimney fires.

fossil said:
You really need to be retired to burn Pine. :p Rick

TOO FUNNY

but i've got 20 more years - guess i'll stick to ash and oak ;)

Don't forget partimers...its like alzheimers but not all the time....

Never burned pine...must be like willow I take it?

mayhem said:
Burns great...some nice dry pine in a smouldering stove is like tossing in nepalm.

My problem is all the pine I've been splitting is possibly the most difficult wood I've ever split. It was one of those trees that has lateral branches every few inches.

I thought I was the only one here! I dropped a jack pine this Spring as a favor and man....that thing splits like CRAP. It basically shreds in the splitter. Zero fun. I'm not a crazy anti-pine facist like you'll find on Craigslist or elsewhere but I'll tell you what - I won't be volunteering to help drop anymore any time soon...

savageactor7 said:
Yep, only harder to split and the pitch gets everywhere. It does smell good though. :)

I am in cranberry country and have unlimited free pine supply-just grabbed a couple of trailer loads from some power lines of fresh cut logs about six feet long - guessing about a cord - as a rookie, can you guys advise as to when is best time to sut up and split? Now or in a few months? Is it easier on the chainsaw now or later? Thanks!

Splits fine right away, but you will need something to clean the sap off of you when you are done if you don't wear gloves.

Llamaman said:
I am in cranberry country and have unlimited free pine supply-just grabbed a couple of trailer loads from some power lines of fresh cut logs about six feet long - guessing about a cord - as a rookie, can you guys advise as to when is best time to sut up and split? Now or in a few months? Is it easier on the chainsaw now or later? Thanks!

Let it sit for a while and the sap will harden up and the rounds will split easier. If you want the best you can get from pine, season it for two years after splitting and stacking. Cover the top of your stacks.

savageactor7 said:

Nope. Willow is much lower on my scale. We don't have many willow but any that are near where I am cutting gets cut down.....and we just leave them lay.

Pine and Willow are great for the sugar shack during Maple Syrup season. Burns hot and fast...when seasoned. For the house insert I will mix a split or two of pine in with a piece of Ironwood or gnarly Beech.

i burnt some pine this morning that was cut from a friends yard last year. as i was putting a few splits in, i noticed a warning tag on it...

WARNING! Burning this pine will cause male pattern baldness, uneven tire wear, squeaky hinges, erectile dysfunction, instant chimney fire and smelly poop from your dog. BEFORE BURNING, SACRIFICE YOUR FIRST BORN.

hmmm...

As has been stated many times before in this forum there are many varieties of pine with much different characteristics. I like to burn Lodgepole Pine for a few different reasons.
First and main reason is it's plentiful here in BC, especially in dead and dry standing state, which means I don't have to deal with storing it for long periods of time, nor do I have to deal with running sap from a fresh cut live tree. It's basically cut and burn thanks to the mountain pine beetle. "They have destroyed millions of pine trees, over 400 square kilometres, leaving once forested areas barren. At the current rate, 80% of mature pine trees in B.C. will be dead by 2013. Lodgepole pine, B.C.'s most commercially harvested tree, has been especially targeted which has led to millions of dollars in losses. The dead trees have contributed to releasing millions of tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere."
We fine it is easier to buck up the rounds, bring them home and unload them and let them dry out a bit before splitting them. They can be split right away. but it is way easier to let them dry for a week or so as the round, once cut, will develop natural cracks, and splits, in the end which make splitting a lot easier. My two young boys (12 and 14) do most of the splitting by hand (no hydraulic splitter), so it can't be all the hard to split as some people might suggest.
As for the burning, we can get overnight burns with Lodgepole pine, or at least burns where I will load it up before going to bed and my wife can start the fire up from coals in the morning. The only other softwood species that we can do that with is Fir, which we also burn, but is much harder to find dry Fir than this pine.
As for the pitch, we do occasionally find a bit of pitch on the pine, but as a rule it's not as bad as the Fir and generally we find it is only found around the bark where the beetles have done their work and the tree bled a lot in that area.
There are other species of pine around here that are harder to split, have more pitch, and burn a lot faster, but seeing that the dry lodgpole is so plentiful and easy to get we use it as our main firewood staple.

I'm burning some dry punky pine up in VT right now. I had the house up to 81 last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.