F3CB top to rear exit conversion.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lee5150

Mar 23, 2023
Leeds UK
Hi all,

I have a new to me F3CB that I have rebuilt from the ground up. It previously had a top exit flue but I'd like it to be rear exit. I have smashed out the opening at the rear and have bought the replacement cover for the top plate.

My main question is, is there a collar or adapter that I need to buy for the rear exit? The top collar is a totally different fitment to what there is at the rear. The rear and side exits both look to have built in internal collars of some sort. There are screw holes/notches to receive something. Whether that something is a 6" tee/elbow or some sort of adapter, I'm not sure. I've included an image below.

RMSFonline_597__29142.1661205176.png

I'm hoping the wealth of knowledge on this forum will help get me to where I need to be!

Many thanks

If you look at the exploded view in the manual, you will see the flue collar required for rear venting. It is shown for the top vent connection, but I believe it can be used for rear venting , as well.

Installation instructions are in the manual on page 5. There should have been a stove pipe adapter for the top vent. This gets moved to the rear vent location with the screw hole toward the stove. It gets inserted into the back of the stove until the raised bead of the adapter is flush with the stove back. Put a bead of stove cement around the stove side of the bead and insert. Then bolt it to the inside flange.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 9.13.04 AM.png

Reactions: D. Hermit
Installation instructions are in the manual on page 5. There should have been a stove pipe adapter for the top vent. This gets moved to the rear vent location with the screw hole toward the stove. It gets inserted into the back of the stove until the raised bead of the adapter is flush with the stove back. Put a bead of stove cement around the stove side of the bead and insert. Then bolt it to the inside flange.

View attachment 311341
Thanks for your replies!!

I do remember seeing this adapter but, as my burner is second hand, it was completely mangled when the old owner had remove it from his house.

Any ideas where I can buy a new one, or something similar?

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your replies!!

I do remember seeing this adapter but, as my burner is second hand, it was completely mangled when the old owner had remove it from his house.

Any ideas where I can buy a new one, or something similar?

Thanks for your help
Your local Jotul dealer should be able to get you the part

Your local Jotul dealer should be able to get you the part
Thanks for your help. My local Jotul dealer couldn't help at all. They had no idea what I was talking about! They just said it will be the same as the collar for the top exit flue. Honestly.

Does anyone have a photo of the rear of their F3?

Thanks

Hello all - I have a similar predicament. I recently acquired a used fc3b that is set up for side outlet and I need to switch to the top. What I can't find is a side outlet cover. Initial searches online turn up nothing and I am in rural Alaska with no local dealer. If appreciate any leads!

Hello all - I have a similar predicament. I recently acquired a used fc3b that is set up for side outlet and I need to switch to the top. What I can't find is a side outlet cover. Initial searches online turn up nothing and I am in rural Alaska with no local dealer. If appreciate any leads!
Normally, one would take the top outlet cover and move it to the side. Is that not possible?

It may be possible but would not match. The side covers have a design while the top is flat.
Yes, that's true it wouldn't look the same. But the main question is whether it would seal properly.

The blanking plate part number will depend on the stove finish. I think the black-painted version is 153918. D. Hermit may be able to verify. A good Jotul dealer should be able to order this for you if there are any still in stock.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a new to me F3CB that I have rebuilt from the ground up. It previously had a top exit flue but I'd like it to be rear exit. I have smashed out the opening at the rear and have bought the replacement cover for the top plate.

My main question is, is there a collar or adapter that I need to buy for the rear exit? The top collar is a totally different fitment to what there is at the rear. The rear and side exits both look to have built in internal collars of some sort. There are screw holes/notches to receive something. Whether that something is a 6" tee/elbow or some sort of adapter, I'm not sure. I've included an image below.

RMSFonline_597__29142.1661205176.png

I'm hoping the wealth of knowledge on this forum will help get me to where I need to be!

Many thanks

Yes, that's true it wouldn't look the same. But the main question is whether it would seal properly.

The blanking plate part number will depend on the stove finish. I think the black-painted version is 153918. D. Hermit may be able to verify. A good Jotul dealer should be able to order this for you if there are any still in stock.
I dont think it will work right. Id have to look closer at one of the ones in the shop. I know they are designed with knockouts on the sides as well. But im not sure how well the cover will fit to switch it back. Ive never actually dealt with a side vented 3cb, and If I had one, is just replace the whole side so it looks right.

The problem with the knockouts, is they are really not meant to be switched back and forth. Thats why the cover only fits the top flush, because the cast has a recessed lip on the top the cover sits into. When you knock out the back or sides, there is no recessed lip for the cover to sit flush, so its tricky to seal. The very first 3cbs had no recessed lip even on the top, you ordered it a certain way and thats how it came.

I set up our F3CB to be rear-vented which required the rear port to be knocked out. IIRC our stove came with the blanking plate new and installed in the top vent.