F45 v2 maintenance items

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jotulf45v2

Sep 22, 2021
CT Shoreline
In Apr aside from sweeping the chimney, I cleaned out the fly ash in the stove and above the baffle and closed it up. Gaskets on the door and top plate looked good albeit a little compression. I'm planning on removing a door shim as my only item this year. I'm wondering how often other gaskets need to be replaced/looked at such as the baffle and flue collar gasket in the back of the stove. I'm guessing the top plate gasket needs to be replaced after this season, so every 2-3 years. The door is easy to track as that's always in view. I didn't remove the baffle as I don't think it warrants it yet and I don't want to (accidentally) prematurely ruin the baffle gasket if I do. Should I always remove this as part of my cleaning process? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Aspen5
In Apr aside from sweeping the chimney, I cleaned out the fly ash in the stove and above the baffle and closed it up. Gaskets on the door and top plate looked good albeit a little compression. I'm planning on removing a door shim as my only item this year. I'm wondering how often other gaskets need to be replaced/looked at such as the baffle and flue collar gasket in the back of the stove. I'm guessing the top plate gasket needs to be replaced after this season, so every 2-3 years. The door is easy to track as that's always in view. I didn't remove the baffle as I don't think it warrants it yet and I don't want to (accidentally) prematurely ruin the baffle gasket if I do. Should I always remove this as part of my cleaning process? Thanks in advance.
Are you top or rear vent? I have to pull my baffle to sweep (top vent straight to liner) but I really don’t think I would need to if it was a rear vent. Maybe once every 3-4 years. My in laws didn’t remove their F400 baffle for 10 years.

Reactions: Aspen5
Agreed. The top is meant to be removable for cleaning. Its gasket sees a lot less use than the door gasket. I would expect it to last several years. The flue collar and baffle gaskets are not usually replaced until the stove gets a rebuild.

Reactions: Todd
I have it top vented. When I swept, I removed the top pipe as gently as I could and vacuumed any flakes that dropped onto the baffle in the back. I made sure to get every bit so as to not block the rear vent. What would happen if any got stuck back there? Since that's where the rear airflow is I imagine I'd see cooler temps, maybe secondaries not firing?

Agreed. The top is meant to be removable for cleaning. Its gasket sees a lot less use than the door gasket. I would expect it to last several years. The flue collar and baffle gaskets are not usually replaced until the stove gets a rebuild.

Ok that's good to know. It was easy enough to pull the top plate and if I don't have to worry about removing the baffle, all the better.

When I swept, I removed the top pipe as gently as I could and vacuumed any flakes that dropped onto the baffle in the back.
I would remove bag/box the pipe then sweep. Less stuff in the stove the better. I don’t think anything should be able drop into an air inlet passage from the stove exist. It’s all kinda one way into the box and out the top. It might fall back there get hot an smolder / burn off. I’ve looked at the 45v2 schematic but never seen one in person. Does the insulation blanket lay on top of the baffle? The pics make it look like it makes a tunnel with the baffle being the bottom and the the blanket the top.

Evan

Reactions: jotulf45v2
Does anyone know where the shorter bricks are supposed to go in the firebox? Specifically the 4.5"x8.5" ones. I was taking them out and forgot some were of a shorter size and forgot where they go. The diagram isn't 100% clear, it says there's four total that are shorter but in the diagram it only shows three, two on the side and one at the bottom towards the back. Is the last one also on the bottom next to it? TIA

The 4 shorter 4.5"x8.5" bricks go in the rear. The two 3" x 9" bricks go in front with one 3" x 8.5" in the middle between them.

Can you clarify what you mean by center rear? Do you mean the floor in the back? There's four bricks that lay across on the floor, and 3 directly at the back.

I have the front thinner bricks correctly positioned.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, two go on the center rear floor. Two are on the rear sides as you mentioned. They are bricks 31a on the diagram.

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 10.48.44 AM.png

Reactions: Todd and jotulf45v2
Careful removing the door latch screws when you remove a shim. I did it today and those bolts didn’t like coming out. I ended up stripping the threads and broke one off, had to drill and tap them out.