F600 First fire , etc....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumaz

Jul 23, 2008
NW CT
Hi all - Finally did my break in fires and have been burning every night this week. i'm very happy with how things are going. The stove kicks a** and throws TONS of heat. Great draft too. Had the chimney and stove installed a couple weeks ago. Cudos to Safeside Chimney in East Hartford CT. They did a GREAT job. Had some VERY smoky smelly fires but it seems to be a lot better. Smoke alarm only went off once. The fire got away from me that night and was 450 before I knew what was happening. Heavy smoke=Angry wife....I did finally make it to 500 so heopefully I'm good. It's difficult to get it that hot and maintain it. I have a lot to learn .

Been burning nightly around 350-400. The room it's in is 82 degrees while the majority of the house is 70'ish. The air is moving around pretty good but I'm having problems getting heat to the far end of the house ..... I'm working on that. The stove seems pretty efficient as well. I've been burning a lot of odd sized chunks. I haven't achieved any type of secondary burn yet.. Also haven't had a good overnight fire where I could get it going again the next morning.

Overall...... My wife and I are pleased. I also look forward to learning a lot over the years. Many thanks to everyone in this community. You've been a valuable help in getting this "fired up" ...

Attachments

• DSC04255.JPG
    DSC04255.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC04257.JPG
    DSC04257.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC04256.JPG
    DSC04256.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 482
Couple more of the chimney..

Attachments

• DSC04259.JPG
    DSC04259.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 449
  • DSC04258.JPG
    DSC04258.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 457
Hmmm, just curious what about that wire being so close to the chimney? We have one about a foot from where we want the chimney to be but are worried :( Installer said it was ok?

Hmmm, just curious what about that wire being so close to the chimney? We have one about a foot from where we want the chimney to be but are worried :( Installer said it was ok?

Class A pipe clearance to combustibles is 2". A wire a foot away from the class A pipe should be fine, unless it moves around a lot.

Excellent job Drumaz. You're in for some serious warmth this winter.

Looking good, I love my f600 (mines the 12 Cat model). Nice Hearth! I would recomend the rear heat shield, not for protection but for air circulation. I found it convects the air into the room and connecting room better since I put it on. It's 90.00 at the stove shop.

P.S. get some primer and paint on the wood strips behind the chimney before they cause chimney sag issues.

Nice looking stove. Just wondering why the stove wasn't placed diagonally across the corner? Most corner installation I have seen photo's of are diagonal.

Mike

The way it's installed there are no clearance issues with the side-door. Makes sense and gets around the prohibition for side door corner stoves by Jotul.

All I can say is that beast is gonna put out some heat for sure when you load 'er up.

Prepare to run around half nekkid :)

I am in the same boat; just got passed the point of breaking in my new F600. Great stove thus far, but the real verdict wont come until we get some cold weather this winter. I already posted one of these pictures in another thread, but here it is again with a chimney shot was well.

Attachments

• jotul_F600.jpg
    jotul_F600.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 434
  • chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 429
Yamaha_gurl said:

It's cable - The installers said it would be ok. We'll see... The cable co said they'd move it if need be.

BeGreen - You're exactly right about the position of the stove. I wanted easy side door access.

Sealcove said:
I am in the same boat; just got passed the point of breaking in my new F600. Great stove thus far, but the real verdict wont come until we get some cold weather this winter. I already posted one of these pictures in another thread, but here it is again with a chimney shot was well.

Looks GREAT!! I'm interested to hear about how yours is. It throws some heat!!

Drumaz said:
Looks GREAT!! I'm interested to hear about how yours is. It throws some heat!!

So far it is doing great. I do a top down start, and let it get to 350 or so before dropping the air intake to about half. That gives me a temp boost to 450 pretty quickly. I then slowly shut the air to minimum, and she seems to burn in the 425 range on that setting until I run out of fuel. I am using 14-16" wood that I cut for a Lopi Answer, and I am looking forward to stuffing this with the 20-22" stuff I am splitting now (it has been seasoning in the log for three years). It will be a couple of months before the real test weather arrives, but I figure all of these small fires will have the stove well broken in before the serious burn season begins.

Oh, don't you worry friends, that f600 will heat ya'll just fine, guaranteed.

My oslo takes care of business in our home, and we got 2100+ sq. ft.

Like I say to my wife, "honey, how hot you want it?" :)

Glad to hear that. We also have 2100 sq feet, but it is probably a tad chillier here on average, so I decided to go for the 600.

Sealcove said:
Glad to hear that. We also have 2100 sq feet, but it is probably a tad chillier here on average, so I decided to go for the 600.

Oh yeah, definitely colder in Maine.... I looked at your house there, which is real nice, and I see where you have that big old Jotul, and I guaran-dang-tee ya that you'll be able heat that place with the F600.

Even after a year of burning with the Oslo, and KNOWING it will heat our place, I still look at it in say, August, and think, "will that thing actually heat this whole house?" HA, that's funny, it looks kinda small sittin' there on the hearth, but man does that cast iron start to throw the heat.

You get that F600 hoverin' around 500 or so degrees and she'll take care of business no problem.

Best thing, if your power goes out, you stay warm :)

I've been burning ours (it's a CB version) for 8 or 9 seasons. Hotter fires definitely occur burning North South. 'Clean glass, too. Even so, unless we PACK it with smaller splits, it tends to peak out at about 575-600 degrees with thermometer near the right rear top of stove, per manual illustration (600 is recommended maximum.) Nonetheless, we ALWAYS reduce the air to 1/2 or less (to prevent a run-away) before leaving the stove unattended.

I think we get more heat per unit of wood when we burn full-cycle fires; we usually don't feed the fire during a vigorous burn. With N/S burning, the wood does not fall onto the glass, so we don't use the side loading often.

Be patient with this model of Jotul. I found it to be a quite "touchy" to learn it's idiosyncracies for the first season. We had a love/hate relationship with it. But now, we absolutely adore the stove.

Do not ever, EVER, use the ashpan door to start or refresh the fire. No. Never.

For our chimney set-up, it had too long of a horizontal run to the wall, and it back-puffed occasionally. We were able to reduce the horizontal run by only 6 inches, and that cured the problem completely. We burn pine, as that is what is available. 'Well seasoned, and dry. Low moisture. Dry wood. The importance cannot be overstated.

Dexter

Sealcove said:

Thats a good looking timber frame. Did you buy it or build it? Eastern white pine? Im currenty looking for looking for land wiht harvestable timber to start mine. I also have f600 which is heating our little 1300sqft cottage. I can't wait to move back to the country, take a year off and start building! I plan on building off the grid with two center piece hearths, two f600s, wind and solar.

I like your tin roof as well, 100 years easy on that roof! So jealous!

The original timber frame portion of the house was built in 1985, and I bought the place in 1999. We just doubled the size and then some, but we had to do stick construction for that (the original house is just the portion under the steep roof with the skylights). We were able to maintain a little of the feel by matching the same wood floors and ceilings throughout. It was actually kind of a challenge to marry an addition to the old frame, but we are pretty happy with the end result. Most importantly the open floor plan cries out for wood heat! I think the timbers are eastern white, although I am not 100% certain.

. I haven't achieved any type of secondary burn yet.. Also haven't had a good overnight fire where I could get it going again the next morning.

...[/quote]

Joe

Just one of many great secondary burns in the castine.have also had two good over night burns.

The secondary burn i just had was 45 minuet's long , what a light show it was. Good luck on the 600.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.