F600 Installation advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamerson

Nov 11, 2008
Ohio
Hi, I'm a proud owner of a shiney new F600. Got it hauled into position on the hearth last night and installed the bottom and rear heatshields. It was getting late but I thought I'd just stick in a piece of stove pipe just to see how it looked and came across a problem and questions.

Ok stove has a 6" flue and I have 6" double wall stove pipe, however the stove pipe doesn't seem to fit in the flue, do I just need to get a little more physical with it or is there an adapter that should sit in between the two?

On reading the manual that came with the stove, it mentions putting a gasket on the bottom of the pipe and filling in the gaps with sealant. I maybe being a little thick here, but if I put the gasket on the bottom of the stove pipe, there is no way I'm getting that sucker to fit in the hole. Should I be fitting the gasket to the top of the crimped area and then applying the sealant underneath that area?

I've got a guy coming to help me fit the chimney, but I was hoping to at least get the stove pipe started. One final question, is it necassary to install a damper in the stove pipe, I hadn't planned on it as the stove has one already, but I see that some people still do install one, so should I, and what are the benefits/cons?

Thanks for all the help, sorry they're such newbie questions, but the wife is cold and keeps staring longingly at the stove whenever she walks past it ;-).

Jamerson

Cont....

Ok so ehm, figured out that I had the stove pipe upside down, pipe now just about fits over the flue however it doesn't quite go down as far as the predrilled screw holes in the flue. I could probably take a mallet to it and force it down but I'm thinking that it probably shouldn't be quite that hard, so I'm back to the adapter question again. Also I've had conflicting answers regarding using sealant on the pipe or not, do you use it or just screw the sections together?

Thanks
again!

I do believe that the double-walled pipe - Simpson DVL at least - has an adapter to go from the pipe to the stove. You can get that with or without the damper. I dont think you need a damper but check the manual and think on it.

Remember,

All the crimped ends of the stove pipe point down.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.