F600 question- again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul?

Burning Hunk
May 30, 2014
western pa
My F600 install is almost complete. Stove is hooked up to 2/3 of the chimney, and if this rain would quit for an evening I'd be done. Installed my rear heat shield tonight and finally figured out what the folded up piece of metal that came with the stove was for . Apparently Jotul or my hearth store stuck a bottom heat shield in the firebox prior to shipping. The manual says that the bottom heat shield is required for all alcove installs. I do not have an alcove install, and I have a 1.5R hearth pad of proper size under the stove, so is there any reason to use the heat shield other than the fact that it was free?

There's no harm in having extra protection. Your call.

Belt and suspenders type of guy here myself . . . I added the extra protection to my Oslo . . . figured the extra protection wouldn't hurt.

You will find that these stoves don't get very hot on the bottom, especially once you get some ash in there. The bottom heat shields don't look very good and catch dust pretty bad. I would trust all the testing that has gone into your stove and leave it off. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.