Factors to consider when choosing, installing woodburning insert in existing fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcnnnghm

Feb 2, 2008
Central IL
I'm brand new to the forums and the whole Hearth.com site and a little overwhelmed right now with all the info here.

But to be brief, I'm considering installing a woodburning insert in an existing masonry fireplace in a 1920's bungalow. The existing fireplace has worked well for the 10 years we've had the house and the chimney is on an exterior wall. The fireplace opening now seems a little small for the inserts I'm seeing online. We live in Central IL.
-can i have some of the existing fireplace opening removed/modified to fit a too-large insert?
-do i need to have my existing flue lined with a metal liner?
-ballpark cost for what i'm looking at with insert, installation and liner?

Please just point me to existing material on this site. Thanks for your help!

Jeff c

Check the size of the flue tile in the chimney (the ID). Chances are that you will have to reline the entire chimney for safest and best operation.

As to modification, that is difficult. Can you let us know the fireplace dimensions? Also, have you considered a stove on the hearth (in front) or some of the inserts that stick out a bit? On some inserts you can move the panels back a small amount, thereby reducing the amount of interior fireplace space needed.

In addition to Craig's questions it would be good to know what size is the room that the fireplace is in? What size is the house? And how do you intend to use the insert, 24/7 or evenings and weekends?

-can i have some of the existing fireplace opening removed/modified to fit a too-large insert?
Most manuals should specifically state NOT to modify the existing fireplace in any way. We had one customer who really wanted the big beast 5100i so they actually paid for the masonry fireplace to be rebuilt larger. He busted out the old material inside and a mason came in and rebuilt it to code. Basically the wood insert should only be installed into a safe and functional wood fireplace.
-do i need to have my existing flue lined with a metal liner?
Probably... also should be insulated if possible.
-ballpark cost for what i'm looking at with insert, installation and liner?
3-5k depending on the stove and options chosen

Status
Not open for further replies.