?! Factory Soapstone Top Cover for Jotul F600 & F500? Can it be true?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
According to Jotul's spare parts list for the F600 & F500 (on their own website) they have an optional soapstone top cover for the F600 & F500.
Have any of you guys seen one? Any idea how much $$$

see pos 36 on http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 600 Firelight CB/Spareparts_F_600_P26_070308.pdf

or position 28 on http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 500 Oslo/Spareparts_F_500_P19_260607.pdf

Thanks for posting the link...

Me too (I'd like to see it) I wonder if the local shop can get any info or if any Jotul folks reading this could post pics..... can't find it on any of their US or international websites.

A friend of mine put soapstone on his cast iron stove after he bought a second stove (this one was a soapstone stove) and realized how well the new stove performed. He remarked that addition of soapstone to the top made a noticeable difference. Mainly that after the fire had died down the stove continued to radiate heat - not as well as the soapstone stove, but noticeably more than before. I think he just bought soapstone tiles.

Napoleon also sells a large soapstone top for their direct vent cast iron.

NapoleonsoapstoneGS-331.jpg

Goldenearringz said:
ps: has anyone here ever cut soapstone - theres a slab of it for sale here lol Im good with a saw & diamond blade lolo. seems to me that if you can put a griddle on the top to cook, you can put a piece of soapstone.

Cuts easy, very soft. Can cut it with an old hand wood saw if need be, but it's somewhat brittle. Diamond blade is overkill. Its heat absorption is insane. I watched someone apply a welding torch to a chunk for about 10 mins, and it was still too hot to touch 30 mins later.

I suspect they contract to a stone shop, which would use their wet diamond equipment they use for granite and marble. It would cut and profile soapstone in about 2 seconds. At home, a tile blade in a jigsaw and an orbital sander would make short work of it. I've cut it on a wood bandsaw, but it's dusty as hell.

Hmmmm . . . very intriguing. I wouldn't mind trying to fab up a piece for my stove . . . although it may make my plain Jane black stove look a bit "over-dressed."

firefighterjake said:
Hmmmm . . . very intriguing. I wouldn't mind trying to fab up a piece for my stove . . . although it may make my plain Jane black stove look a bit "over-dressed."

think of it as a nice hat for your stove.

Soapstone cuts really easy. You can cut it with woodworking tools. There is even a soapstone quarry in VT where you buy it by the pound. I replaced the lid piece on my antique soapstone stove, and I'm not a terribly handy indivdual. I've been thinking about replacing the side firebricks in the oakwood with stove if they ever crack.

Dill said:
Soapstone cuts really easy. You can cut it with woodworking tools. There is even a soapstone quarry in VT where you buy it by the pound. I replaced the lid piece on my antique soapstone stove, and I'm not a terribly handy indivdual. I've been thinking about replacing the side firebricks in the oakwood with stove if they ever crack.

So . . . uh . . . inquiring minds want to know (well I would like to know at least) do you have a name for this quarry or a business, website, etc? I'm interested.

I want one. I'm calling the Jotul dealer now.

firefighterjake said:
Dill said:

So . . . uh . . . inquiring minds want to know (well I would like to know at least) do you have a name for this quarry or a business, website, etc? I'm interested.

It was 5 years ago. I'll ask my father what town it was in. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere I'm pretty sure. I'll post up when I find out. I think the 3 chunks I bought cost under 20 bucks.

polaris said:
I want one. I'm calling the Jotul dealer now.

I contacted my "local" dealer who said they were unable to get one in the U.S. . . . said something to the effect of the quality not being up to Jotul's standards.

Seems to me however that there might be some demand for such a product.

Dill said:
firefighterjake said:
Dill said:

It was 5 years ago. I'll ask my father what town it was in. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere I'm pretty sure. I'll post up when I find out. I think the 3 chunks I bought cost under 20 bucks.

That would be great Dill . . . I am very interested in following through with this.

--

Also, does anyone have any guesses as to what thickness the soapstone should be?

Is there any potential negative issues with placing the soapstone on top?

I'm thinking I might have to make a cut out area in one corner for the thermometer to continue to sit on top . . . would the soapstone affect the stovetop thermometer's reading in any way.

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I talked with the local dealer. He said he has not ordered one and was not sure they were available but would find out and get back to me. If I don't here from him by mid afternoon I'll give him another ring. I'm not holding my breath though. I contacted a local stone company who said they would sell me a 3x4 piece for $120.00. I'll probably go that route and cut and polish/sand it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.