fair price for used stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flapper

Hello all,

I am in the market for a used wood insert. I just wanted to get some experts opinions for fair pricing.
I was made an offer to buy a quadra fire 4100i for $1800 dollars it was used for 2 seasons, just the stove no liner . Do you think that is
a fair price ?

Thanks, flapper

In general, I think many folks overprice there stoves if only used 1 or 2 seasons. You can run out right now and get a damn good deal on a leftover from this year. That said, I do not know what those go for new.

Seems high to me. You could come close to buying a brand new stove for that.

Stoves are somewhat like cars - except worse....

They probably lose 30-40% of their value in the first year or two.

Also, anyone selling a stove one or two years old have a reason - they are moving, or don't like the lifestyle, etc. - Many people have problems with moving something that heavy.

When you consider off-season and overstock deals, etc.....I would look to pay about 60% of original price, not including install.
Example - stove was $2000 new, 2 years old good condition= $1200. IF IT IS THE EXACT STOVE YOU WANT.

Webmaster said:
Stoves are somewhat like cars - except worse....

They probably lose 30-40% of their value in the first year or two.

Also, anyone selling a stove one or two years old have a reason - they are moving, or don't like the lifestyle, etc. - Many people have problems with moving something that heavy.

When you consider off-season and overstock deals, etc.....I would look to pay about 60% of original price, not including install.
Example - stove was $2000 new, 2 years old good condition= $1200. IF IT IS THE EXACT STOVE YOU WANT.
I was gonna say maybe a grand no more than 1200. isnt it time for a new hat Craig.

flapper said:
Hello all,

I am in the market for a used wood insert. I just wanted to get some experts opinions for fair pricing.
I was made an offer to buy a quadra fire 4100i for $1800 dollars it was used for 2 seasons, just the stove no liner . Do you think that is
a fair price ?

Thanks, flapper

I would offer him 1,000 too but call around the stove stores if you really want a Quad. If you are just looking for an insert call more stores, Lopi, Avalon dealers, Pacific Energy Stores, Give Englander a call too, they make a great insert and Corie works for them as is a member here too. He could help you with any questions you might have. Call, call, and when you are tired call around again :)

I saved 800 dollars 2 weeks ago on my new Avalon Olympic Freestanding stove, that is a lot of cash for the same stove!!!!!! Tis the season for deals, Hell it's like X-mas

JFK said:
flapper said:
Hello all,

a fair price ?

Thanks, flapper

I would offer him 1,000 too but call around the stove stores if you really want a Quad. If you are just looking for an insert call more stores, Lopi, Avalon dealers, Pacific Energy Stores, Give Englander a call too, they make a great insert and Corie works for them as is a member here too. He could help you with any questions you might have. Call, call, and when you are tired call around again :)

I saved 800 dollars 2 weeks ago on my new Avalon Olympic Freestanding stove, that is a lot of cash for the same stove!!!!!! Tis the season for deals, Hell it's like X-mas

Right now I have a Fuego insert. Its basically a steel fireplace its not very efficient takes & long time to heat up.
This past winter we heated with wood about half the time & want to burn wood as much as possible next season.
So I am looking for an insert. Looking for best bang for my buck! Is it possible for some one to list
stores in the Binghamton,Syracuse & northern PA. Seeing that this is the best time for deals. I would
consider any brand to heat my 2000 SF home. I saw a link for a Napoleon insert 1402 on this forum seemed like a
very good price are they any good? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Flapper

I have that Quad insert. They should run $2400-$2500 by now, easy, with trim and blower. If you can get it down to $1500 or maybe even $1400 that would be a reasonable deal, I think. Make sure it has the blower. Also, call a Quad dealer and have them give you a price on new, add the sales tax, and then you've got the new price. Remember if you take care of it it should last you 20 years.

MarkG

There was a dealer around here that sold the 4100i last summer for a special 30% discount, which put it somewhere around $1850. I think it turned out to be a floor model, but that was also with trim, blower, silver/nickel door. Therefore, a used, private sale should be somewhat less.
Will you have to move it for that price, or will it be ready to roll onto your truck?
These things are heavy to install/uninstall, so I do wonder why it's going after 2 years. Could something be amiss?

edit: The same dealer also was offering 3 ton of free pellets with any pellet stove sale, which was over $600, so it was a legit price; they were in a selling mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.