Fair Trade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
A local couple operate a large breed dog rescue a few miles from our house. They took in a pregnant groan mastiff that had puppies a few days later, and we adopted a male. He's been the best dog ever. Fast forward five years, and they managed to get the whole litter together for a picture.
It so happens, they took back one of the females because the people who had her had 'problems' with her. The problem was that they had no understanding of the temperament of the breed, and apparently lacked the ability or desire to learn anything about it. When I show up and sit in a chair, and she walks up and puts her head in my lap, it was pretty much over. Long story short, we brought her home Sunday.
They wanted a $100 adoption fee, mostly to cover vet bills. They got her vaccinations up to date and made sure she was healthy. They called last night and said instead of money that maybe we could work out a deal for some firewood. These are the woodburners who haven't cut wood for this winter yet. I guess I'll take them a couple cords of the good stuff ;-) .

Attachments

• Hilda.jpg
    Hilda.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 403
Oh, and this is Angus. We've had him since he was ten weeks old.

Attachments

• IMG_20110701_172714.jpg
    IMG_20110701_172714.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 381
There is something to be said about people who rescue dogs. Good for you Jeff, you are a good man. Something to be said for people who run rescue services as well, give them the good stuff! Those two slobbering piles of flesh will love you forever. I think they know on some level you saved their lives.

Looks like Angus can knock down a few angus. Good for you!

I don't want to pay that food bill.

KC

He's very much a part of the family. He adores my kids and sleeps in one room or the other, or in between. He's really lazy, quiet, and gentle. He seems like a big doofus most of the time, but he's also completely aware of what's going on. If he hears a car pull in, he has a spot where he can watch both doors, and he stands there barking very slowly. If we have to go to the front door, he wants to be in between us and whoever is outside. He's also done some protection 'training' with the guy in the foam suit. He's actually not had any training other than obedience classes. It's just his protective instincts. He's also pretty well socialized and gets along with most people. There are some people, however, he just doesn't like and he avoids them. Maybe he's a good judge of character, too.
Too soon to tell how his sister is going to work out, but she's as well behaved as he is. I'm home all day Monday and Tuesday, so it was pretty much me and her while the kiddos were at school and my wife was at work. My wife called me at 6:45 this morning and said she(the dog) had been crying since I left the house at 1:30. I guess she misses me.

jeff_t said:
A local couple operate a large breed dog rescue a few miles from our house. They took in a pregnant groan mastiff that had puppies a few days later, and we adopted a male. He's been the best dog ever. Fast forward five years, and they managed to get the whole litter together for a picture.
It so happens, they took back one of the females because the people who had her had 'problems' with her. The problem was that they had no understanding of the temperament of the breed, and apparently lacked the ability or desire to learn anything about it. When I show up and sit in a chair, and she walks up and puts her head in my lap, it was pretty much over. Long story short, we brought her home Sunday.
They wanted a $100 adoption fee, mostly to cover vet bills. They got her vaccinations up to date and made sure she was healthy. They called last night and said instead of money that maybe we could work out a deal for some firewood. These are the woodburners who haven't cut wood for this winter yet. I guess I'll take them a couple cords of the good stuff ;-) .

Nice dog Jeff, glad you gave him a good home. Nice deal with the firewood.

zap

Absolutely beautiful dogs. Only "Dog People" truly understand what the rescue of any dog means to both sides of the equation. Enjoy them and I am sure you will be repaid many times over.

Maybe people get skeered when their dogs weigh more than they do :bug: I think two makes it a herd when they are that big. Have fun!

That's awesome . Good for you all :)

Rescue is good. Done it for many rescue/teachers in my life, and they are still teaching me.

Took a break with the current one, however. He's pure bred, and have had him from 8 weeks old. Some times you need a break
animal0019.gif

My niece and her friends started a dog rescue program while studying to be a vet. She would fill up her car with dogs when she came home on breaks and place them in the Northeast. Then she convinced her schoolmates and friends to do the same. The numbers grew to hundreds of dogs placed. Now a vet she tirelessly works with many organizations to help with the placement of these dogs and cats. We are really proud of her.

There are lots of opportunities to adopt a dog, here's just one:

http://guardianangelpetrescue.com/

Attachments

• homeward bound.jpg
    homeward bound.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 324
We saved this border collie (Sammi) from going to the pound.
So glad we did, by far the smartest, most loyal, best friend one could ask for.
Never knew much about Border Collies but they are very athletic and considered to be the worlds smartest breed.
I can see that for sure. She is great, never needed a leash always by your side. DOGS RULE!

The Mastiffs are too cool, would love to have one.

Attachments

• DSC05819.jpg
    DSC05819.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 311
Those are 2 beautiful dogs. I have 2 labs, they too seem to be dumb as stumps, but if a car hits the driveway, they know it and alert. Dogs are awesome companions, mine are getting older and I can see them starting to decline. I am gonna be heart-broken when they leave the family.

jeff_t said:

My avatar (a rescue) approves.

bfunk13 said:
Never knew much about Border Collies but they are very athletic and considered to be the worlds smartest breed.
I can see that for sure. She is great, never needed a leash always by your side. DOGS RULE!

I grew up with dogs, but prefer cats now (the comment about "dog people" understanding both sides of the rescue equation applies equally to "cat people" and rescues/adoptions). I have to say though, I would consider a border collie, but am just not sure if I'd have the time to devote to one right now. Time is in short enough supply as it is. Beautiful dogs.

shawneyboy said:
Dogs are awesome companions, mine are getting older and I can see them starting to decline. I am gonna be heart-broken when they leave the family.

That's a bit of a sucky thing for us now, having two five year old mastiffs. They aren't known for longevity. They are on the smaller side, as far as mastiffs go, and have a pretty stress free life, so I'm hoping for a good 10+ years. I've had pets all of my life, but most were a big PITA, except for a couple of good killer cats. I was never emotionally attached to any until now. They will leave a big hole someday, too soon.

babzog said:
bfunk13 said:

I grew up with dogs, but prefer cats now (the comment about "dog people" understanding both sides of the rescue equation applies equally to "cat people" and rescues/adoptions). I have to say though, I would consider a border collie, but am just not sure if I'd have the time to devote to one right now. Time is in short enough supply as it is. Beautiful dogs.

They do require a lot of attention and exercise. (especially the border collies)
I take her to work with me in the field a few days a week and she can run crazy all day.
Plus my two young boys keep her busy.

I agree Jeff, they become part of the family for sure.

Fair enough? It's a mix of cherry, oak, ash, and a little soft maple and mulberry. I'll have to warn them that it might burn a little hotter than they are used to ;-) .

Attachments

• 2011-11-21_16-37-07_933.jpg
    2011-11-21_16-37-07_933.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 200
I've got two rescue dogs. Up here they get $500 for a free dog nobody wanted. Stupid white people. What a racket. Stupid dogs.

Give daddy some sugar!

jeff_t said:
Fair enough? It's a mix of cherry, oak, ash, and a little soft maple and mulberry. I'll have to warn them that it might burn a little hotter than they are used to ;-) .

hey jeff-i'll go to the local shelter and get you a couple dogs...you bring me a load of wood like that one in the pic! deal??

yooperdave said:
jeff_t said:

hey jeff-i'll go to the local shelter and get you a couple dogs...you bring me a load of wood like that one in the pic! deal??

Sure. As long as they're dogs like the ones in the pictures :) . But that's a long haul, and then there's the whole firewood across the bridge thing .....

Status
Not open for further replies.