Any dog / health experts out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
There are a surprisingly diverse set of talented people in here so , why not give it a shot...
We have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, female - 3 years old. At ~12months we had her fixed per our breeder recommendation that now Im wondering if it was wise. I probably should have let the dog go through a heat before having her fixed.

Ever since the surgery, she has a urine leaking issue. It's off and on. We put plastic backed pads down where she lays down on carpet. Everywhere else is her bed and we change out her bed liner frequently. But this is getting very annoying to do. She wants so badly to lay in bed with us at night when we turn in to watch tv in bed, or on the sofa with us. So we've been letting her to pet her. We thought her issue was all over as we hadnt noticed any droplets for a long time. In the bed we still put a pad down that we kinda sorta try to force her to be on, on the sofa as it is leather we just would clean anything up with clorox wipes but like I said, she really hasnt been leaking that much in the past few months.

Fast forward to a few days ago, I felt a wet spot near the window and assumed it was one of my kids spilling water. Then the next day my son yelled "LOOK" and there was a big wet spot on the sofa where the dog was laying for only a few moments. I took her outside thinking it was a fluke. If it's snowing, cold, raining, or the grass is too tall, the dog will just sniff around a bit and run back to come back inside and not go to the bathroom, so I made sure she went. Literally 1 min later she jumped back on the sofa, and peed again!

As I was cleaning that and she was running down the hallway, my wife said she was just leaking as she was walking on the wood floors!

This has been an ongoing cycle for a couple of years now.

I see blood in her urine, and there is usually a foul smell but not this time.

We've had her to two different vets. They do the same circle with us. 1. oh it's a UTI,...here take meds. 2. Not a UTI but hormone issue, here give her these meds (they do nothing but make her vomit).

Im kinda at my wits end. The second vet we went to, we point blank asked is it possible her surgery went poorly to cause this? They said NO almost way to passionately. The one vet tech said, she might have stones...mention stones. But the actual vets dismiss that idea and just try to pump her full of drugs to fix the problem, yet they never do.

It gets bad for awhile, then gets better for awhile - but usually never completely goes away.

Should I try a 3rd vet? Im already a couple thousand into this issue to be honest, I really am hesitant to keep going in the same insane circle.

If not a urinary tract infection she may have a bladder problem. Not sure if that would be related to getting her fixed. It may be a muscular or nerve problem.

I'm not an expert but I've had dogs all my life. My 7-year-old hound will occasionally leak urine on my bed (of course) when she has been sound asleep. In my case, I believe she loses muscle tone when she is dreaming (I'm finally catching and crunching that darn squirrel) ... If she has a UTI, I've had so much luck with a tincture of echinacea for any kind of infection in the dogs.

I had a fixed female with the same issue. My vet said it’s very common in female spayed dogs to lose bladder control when sleeping and there is a medication they can give them that supposedly helps. In our case we chose not to medicate and it resolved itself. I don’t spay my females until they are about two. Early spaying or neutering is detrimental to dogs physical development and can cause all sorts of issues.

I think vets pushing early spaying and neutering do pet owners a disservice. My dogs are all hunting dogs and males don’t get fixed, females only after they are two and are fully grown. My dogs are essentially elite athletes- they hunt hard fir 5-6 days straight throughout the fall, I’ve never had a dog with an acl tear . Yet that is a very common injury for couch potato dogs who were spayed or neutered early.

Had that problem with a German Shepherd female, vets are slowly realizing they are spaying and neutering too quickly these days. What worked for our girl was to get her out a lot, and put her on a medicine called Proin.

01DB3872-D5E4-4972-A12B-619CB1A90E1C.jpeg

Freckles. I had her fixed early by a free clinic. She leaked all her life. She lived to be 15. Every time she would get up she’d have a little puddle. She would always investigate it. She hadn’t even known she had done it. Vets couldn’t do anything about it back then. I just figured it was a botched surgery procedure by new vets or something to do with the procedure being free. Interesting to see it’s more common then I thought.

Last edited:
We have a Rhodesian Ridgeback
I love your dog choice. We lived in Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia) for awhile, and we now have a dog who is a Ridgeback/Akita mix. We love her. We had her spayed, but she had went through some in-heat cycles first and doesn’t have that problem.
I’d prefer a Boerboel, that’s what we had while living there, but they are quite costly here.

Im glad Im not alone here. We had her in the kennel for a week and she returned home without any issues. I say this as she is probably leaving a puddle on the sofa.
I own a full sized steam cleaner, and one of those spot bots. We have no less than 10 blankets that are waterproof for her to lay in the areas that she lays. They are stylish looking so nothing detrimental. My bean bag though, it's all hers and I plan to throw it away. She's leaked too many times on it.
Pretty gross honestly. I have plastic sheets under my main bed sheets because she will sneak onto our bed. The best is when she lays on the covers and now I have to wash two large quilts plus sheets. Of course our dryer takes like 2 hours to dry and the washer runs for 1.5 hours, so this isnt like a quick chore.
We were constantly running the washer/dryer there for a couple of months. I REALLY hope this stays away for awhile. She gets sad obviously when she sees that it happened, and even during the best of time there will be a little spot so when she returns to her laying down area she smells around then walks away, and that lets us know there is a spot there and she wont lay down until we clean it.
Pain in the arse!

There are a surprisingly diverse set of talented people in here so , why not give it a shot...
We have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, female - 3 years old. At ~12months we had her fixed per our breeder recommendation that now Im wondering if it was wise. I probably should have let the dog go through a heat before having her fixed.

Ever since the surgery, she has a urine leaking issue. It's off and on. We put plastic backed pads down where she lays down on carpet. Everywhere else is her bed and we change out her bed liner frequently. But this is getting very annoying to do. She wants so badly to lay in bed with us at night when we turn in to watch tv in bed, or on the sofa with us. So we've been letting her to pet her. We thought her issue was all over as we hadnt noticed any droplets for a long time. In the bed we still put a pad down that we kinda sorta try to force her to be on, on the sofa as it is leather we just would clean anything up with clorox wipes but like I said, she really hasnt been leaking that much in the past few months.

Fast forward to a few days ago, I felt a wet spot near the window and assumed it was one of my kids spilling water. Then the next day my son yelled "LOOK" and there was a big wet spot on the sofa where the dog was laying for only a few moments. I took her outside thinking it was a fluke. If it's snowing, cold, raining, or the grass is too tall, the dog will just sniff around a bit and run back to come back inside and not go to the bathroom, so I made sure she went. Literally 1 min later she jumped back on the sofa, and peed again!

As I was cleaning that and she was running down the hallway, my wife said she was just leaking as she was walking on the wood floors!

This has been an ongoing cycle for a couple of years now.

I see blood in her urine, and there is usually a foul smell but not this time.

We've had her to two different vets. They do the same circle with us. 1. oh it's a UTI,...here take meds. 2. Not a UTI but hormone issue, here give her these meds (they do nothing but make her vomit).

Im kinda at my wits end. The second vet we went to, we point blank asked is it possible her surgery went poorly to cause this? They said NO almost way to passionately. The one vet tech said, she might have stones...mention stones. But the actual vets dismiss that idea and just try to pump her full of drugs to fix the problem, yet they never do.

It gets bad for awhile, then gets better for awhile - but usually never completely goes away.

Should I try a 3rd vet? Im already a couple thousand into this issue to be honest, I really am hesitant to keep going in the same insane circle.
Talk to a vet and make sure she doesn't have a fistula.
Maybe surgery affected a nerve.
Very difficult issue, I'm sorry you're going through this.

Talk to a vet and make sure she doesn't have a fistula.
Maybe surgery affected a nerve.
Very difficult issue, I'm sorry you're going through this.
so it looks like we are heading back to the vet.
As I said we had her in a kennel for almost a full week, and when she returned home the leaking problem was no more.
BUT, now she has to go to the bathroom every 2-3 hours. Including while Im sleeping.

I'll never get a female pet again. They always have problems, or are nuts.

Males have their own problems.

I like male pets. My wife likes female pets. Yet we both still love them all.

Rhodesian ridgebacks are beautiful dogs.

sorry to hear about her problem. She probably feels as bad as you about it.

Males have their own problems.

I like male pets. My wife likes female pets. Yet we both still love them all.

Rhodesian ridgebacks are beautiful dogs.

sorry to hear about her problem. She probably feels as bad as you about it.
It's funny you say that, she does. She has the look of shame and just stands by the door waiting to go out. Doesnt make a sound. We just keep taking her to the vet. She isnt miserable from what I can tell. She enjoys laying in the sun, then gets the zoomies like most dogs. She also likes to grown/bark at me and if I dont play with her she will gently bite me in the arse.
I just wish I could have her lay in bed with us.

Reactions: Newbie78