Mom's small dog allowed to go to bathroom inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
This is kinda gross but just a reality I'm dealing with. It is time to move my mother to a senior living community for greater assistance in day to day things. Currently she lives alone in her house and she never housebroke her 12 year old chihuahua. Mom lays down an approximately 2'x3' area of absorbent pads and the dog goes #1 and #2 on that. It's kinda like cleaning up after a cat litter box. Mom then replaces the absorbent pads as they become soiled. Certainly not how I would have raised my dog but that's just the situation.

Losing her independence and confronting her own aging/frailty is difficult. The communities we're looking at allow small dogs and with everything else it's just too much to ask her to give up the dog (we considered contacting a chihuahua adoption group). We would consider taking it but the dog is terrified of anybody else and aggressive when approached.

I want to create an easier to clean area where the urine won't leak past the pads and into the carpet. I'm picturing something like a plastic boot tray but this one I ordered from Amazon for a different purpose is too small. A tray of some sort would be easy for me to quickly clean when I visit her several times a week. Any suggestions for a good tray or barrier to place the absorbent pads upon?

Capture.jpg

Another option would be to search for something like a bunny droppings tray. They make them large enough to fit under various sizes of hutch. I’m not sure how large you’re looking for, but here’s just an example. I’m sure there are more options.

Good luck in your search, and best wishes to your mom and your family as you make this transition. It’s hard.

A large cat litter box might be worth a try. Some small dogs can/will learn to use one.

Another option would be to search for something like a bunny droppings tray. They make them large enough to fit under various sizes of hutch. I’m not sure how large you’re looking for, but here’s just an example. I’m sure there are more options.

Good luck in your search, and best wishes to your mom and your family as you make this transition. It’s hard.
I use a rabbit dropping tray under my bird cages to contain the seed shells and they work well. Only thing I would be leery of if using as a base for a wee wee pad is those ridges may not be to the dog's liking and/or may encourage some runoff from the pad. The trays also have pebbled bottoms, which may make a good cleaning difficult. I throw the bird's trays into the bathtub on occasion to get a good cleaning in.

A large cat litter box might be worth a try. Some small dogs can/will learn to use one.

I knew someone who lived in a trailer park that didn't allow dogs. They had a small dog (Yorkie I believe) and it was trained to use a cat box so it never had to go outside.

The good thing about cat litter boxes, even if used with a wee wee pad, is that they are smooth and coated so deep cleanings are easier (that the above rabbit tray). One could probably just spray it with your favorite solution and wipe down and be done.

Just did a quick search and they make dog litter trays. They look like they would serve better than a cat litter tray since they have a low side for dogs to enter. That one is kind of pricey, but they probably make cheaper ones, you just have to Google more than I did.

It also looks like they make cat litter trays for senior cats that are along the same lines as the above and cheaper.

Then there is a pig litter tray (who knew?).

All of those go to Chewy, only because that is what came up first. I don't use them because they are usually more expensive. I have more time than money so am willing to spend time to search.

Those are perfect @bogieb ! All the suggestions have been very helpful and I sincerely appreciate the help.

Reactions: bogieb
Happy to help.

Dog cages also have removable trays for their floors. Easy to pull out and hose off.

Reactions: ispinwool
give up the dog

Sorry, but this is the correct answer. I had to deal with this with my mom and her cats. It was very hard for her, but she was not capable of caring for them properly.

Letting a dog operate this way is also not caring for the dog properly and that's not a reasonable burden to foist on the caregivers. Time to let it go.