Lost My Best Friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear of your loss Steve. JJ sounds like about the best Best Friend a person could have.
It's been over 2 years since we lost our Shasta (much too young) to a condition that took her quite suddenly. What a shock it is.
I know exactly what you mean about expecting to see him around the house. A good dog fills the house with love that you can nearly take for granted as it's just Always There. And their absence, well, it leaves a void that aches.
I'm glad you all found each other and had a wonderful 10 1/2 years together.

So sorry for your loss, they truly are a part of the family, and always gone too soon.

You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.
But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.
So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.
The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.
That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.
Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.
You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.
So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To now grant me this appeal.
Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.
And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.
I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
...a young dog once again.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Just saw this thread, Steve.

So sorry. Deepest condolences from all of us here.

Had a hard time reading your story. I had to put my 12 year old German shepherd black lab mix down about 4 years ago. She was awesome and the best friend I ever had. The dog never left my side. Her hips gave out and she could no longer walk. She weighed in at about 110 pounds and on the day my dad and I took her to be put down I rode with her and held her the whole time. Terrible day that was.

So sorry Flatbed. Sounds like he had a truly wonderful life and last day. Doesn't get much better than that. You saved him the suffering that surely was ahead for him.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Its tough to get older and have to say goodbye to so many family and friends.
Its been a bad couple of years for several on here...myself included.
Godspeed Jesse James...

It sounds like Jessee was loved and allowed to love in return -- the best life any dog could ask for.
As someone who took his dog on his honeymoon and then sobbed in sadness the day I saw life leave his eyes years later, I empathize.

Status
Not open for further replies.