falling wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smabon

Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
Lunenburg, Ma
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to get falling wedges cheap. I've checked out a couple of chainsaw dealers around me and they seem pretty expensive. I was planning on maybe getting them from Bailey's website, they have them starting under $5, but shipping was more then the wedge itself. Looking for any suggestions. thanks for your time.

If you mean felling wedges, I usually cut mine as I need them from saplings.

I got mine from Northern Tool. I got a bunch to take the sting out of the shipping charge.

Beware of falling wedges if you don't have your hard hat on.....sorry, I had to....

I have a Stihl wedge I picked up from my dealer. Yeah, you can surely find one cheaper but the darn thing matches my chaps! ha...

eBay has had some OK deals.

I've always purchased mine from Bailey's. If you order two or three in a couple different sizes, the shipping becomes less painful. I like the redhead ones for serious work on bigger trees, and the orange ones for holding kerfs open and for smaller trees.

Though they might be fine for keeping a kerf open when bucking things up, I'm not sure you could really get the lift you need out of wedges cut from saplings.

computeruser said:
eBay has had some OK deals.

I've always purchased mine from Bailey's. If you order two or three in a couple different sizes, the shipping becomes less painful. I like the redhead ones for serious work on bigger trees, and the orange ones for holding kerfs open and for smaller trees.

Though they might be fine for keeping a kerf open when bucking things up, I'm not sure you could really get the lift you need out of wedges cut from saplings.

Bailey's has the best prices I've seen. I usually just wait to order a bunch of chains, oil, rims and anything else I need for the season. Then just toss in a couple of wedges. I've got 5 now and don't think I'll be needing anymore for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.