fan ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
I'd like to place a fans in my three back rooms that blows cold air down into the basement. I have the stove there. Is there a fan that fits in a register and blows downward similiar to the one in this link?

http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php?p=airflow_4x12almond&product=113044&category=2159

These seem to blow air through existing ductwork. I want to move the cold air in the room down into the basement so that it is replaced with warmer air.

Sratching my head on this one. Sounds like you want to blow cold air, through your supply ductwork, down to the warm basement. Don't do that, you're going the wrong way ! If you want to get more warmth from the basement to the rest of the house, put a fan near the stove and blow the warm air around and up. If you have any returns in the basement, open them.

Blow cold air to the stove and the warm air will rise.

I have put a DUCTSTAT from Home depot on the ceiling in my ceiling of my basement were the stove is. Now this is connected to a 6" inline duct fan in my hot air furnace when the temp reaches about 75f the fan turns on. What this does is turns my heat ducts on the floor of the second floor in to returns to the stove. This will hopefully help keep the basement from getting to warm by helping the warm air move up the stairs.

My first fire will be this weekend (hopefully) i will post the results.

i,ve readed that a fan just in the middle of the room wheres the stove is and going counterclockwise, o however you say it, works really fine, distributing hot air everywere.
is a think that i have to try . the only think i dont have is the stove, fan is on the celing

Status
Not open for further replies.