Fan position

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
It's been said by some to aim a fan towards the wood stove from the cool part of the house to move the heat.After the heat has been distributed does the fan need to run continuously or can it be shut off until needed again?

It's been said by some to aim a fan towards the wood stove from the cool part of the house to move the heat.After the heat has been distributed does the fan need to run continuously or can it be shut off until needed again?
It probably depends on the situation and your comfort level, but I would think that running it all the time on low speed (it doesn't take much) would work best. I'd just experiment with different methods.

It probably depends on the situation and your comfort level, but I would think that running it all the time on low speed (it doesn't take much) would work best. I'd just experiment with different methods.
Thanks for the feedback.

since I read this tip on here I have been running a fan at the top of my stairs blowing cold air down to the first floor. I can feel the heat blowing up the stairs and warming the second floor, the room with my insert has also been cooler with the cold air flowing into it. I run the fan 24-7

Reactions: Huntindog1
since I read this tip on here I have been running a fan at the top of my stairs blowing cold air down to the first floor. I can feel the heat blowing up the stairs and warming the second floor, the room with my insert has also been cooler with the cold air flowing into it. I run the fan 24-7
Dave, are you able to blow directly down into the space below so that it doesn't compete with the warm air rising? A lot of others here may benefit from your experience and method.

Rich, it is actually rare for us to run the fan in this way so I have to say use it only when needed. I see no sense in paying for electricity when it does not need to be used. It is sort of like leaving your car idling while you are in the house just so it is ready to drive when you need it, only on a different scale. But then I also have a problem and do not understand these folks who leave porch lights on all day long... A total waste of electric and dollars.

Reactions: Scott2373
Rich, it is actually rare for us to run the fan in this way so I have to say use it only when needed. I see no sense in paying for electricity when it does not need to be used. It is sort of like leaving your car idling while you are in the house just so it is ready to drive when you need it, only on a different scale. But then I also have a problem and do not understand these folks who leave porch lights on all day long... A total waste of electric and dollars.
Thanks Savage,that's sound advice.I'm thinking about installing one of those doorway fans.

Dave, are you able to blow directly down into the space below so that it doesn't compete with the warm air rising? A lot of others here may benefit from your experience and method.
I have a fan that pivots up and down, I angle it pointing down the stairs at roughly the same angle. It looks like this.
ht-900-honeywell-turboforce-air-circulator-fan.gif

I think the technique works much better if you keep the air flow low to the ground where the cool air is anyways. Then the warm air flows back towards you up above where warm air likes to be anyways. If you use too big of fan blowing air up high and low at the same time it might inhibit the flow back to the room you wanting warm air to get. If your using the blow the air towards the warm room with the stove a ceiling fan turbulence created might interfere with what your trying to do so use one or the other. So a low to the ground fan like pictured above is the best for this technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.