Faster seasoning? shorter splits or longer skinny splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cighon

Mar 11, 2008
Northern NJ
Which seasons faster: shorter splits or longer skinny splits?

What's your experience? Any scientific back up from the industry?

I think i found the answer on HearthWiki-moisture content:

"‘Free moisture’ exits a wood split’s ends (during drying and burning) via normal phloem networks utilizing the perforated ends of the wood cells stacked end-to-end and forming something like straws, if you will. These are the same passages responsible for normal water movement from roots to leaves in a living tree"

Thus cutting the wood shorter will allow it to dry faster.

I remember reading from my days of air drying Western Red Cedar lumber that the split ends lose water about 20 times faster. I beleive this stands true with almost all types of wood.

Yep, but "thinner" will help too.

burntime said:
Yep, but "thinner" will help too.

Yep. Otherwise a 48" round would dry just as fast as a 6" split if they both were the same length.

I'd say "sooner" may be more important than either "shorter" or "skinnier". Rick

fossil said:
I'd say "sooner" may be more important than either "shorter" or "skinnier". Rick

What? Now he has to move to Oklahoma just to season wood?

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

What? Now he has to move to Oklahoma just to season wood?

No, silly...he just needs to ship his wood down there for the summer. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.