Fastest way to cool it down????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy2000

Mar 14, 2007
www.murphysmachines.com
Hi Everyone,

What is the fastest way to cool a bed of hot ashes and coals down for cleaning?

In the past, we've been cracking the door open to let extra air in and stirring the ashes frequently to get them as hot as possible in the hopes they will rapidly burn themselves out. This process of stirring the ashes ever 10 minutes takes about 3 to 4 hours to get them burned down enough to start shoveling into a bucket.

Anyone know of a quicker way?

Push the big hot coals to the back, scoop out the ash in the front. Pull the coals to the front and scoop out the ash in the back. With heavy-duty welding gloves on of course. Make sure you are using a metal pail and take it outside to cool. Thats what everyone who burns 24/7 will tell you. If you get small coals in the bucket no bigger than a marble you'll be fine. Some guys actually shovel out big coals to make room for an overnight load up.

Push the big hot coals to the back, scoop out the ash in the front. Pull the coals to the front and scoop out the ash in the back. With heavy-duty welding gloves on of course. Make sure you are using a metal pail and take it outside to cool. Thats what everyone who burns 24/7 will tell you. If you get small coals in the bucket no bigger than a marble you'll be fine. Some guys actually shovel out big coals to make room for an overnight load up.

Yeap. About every 4 or 5 days, first thing after getting home from work.

I do side to side due to my shallow fire box.

Reactions: Dakotas Dad
I do side to side due to my shallow fire box.

I was just going to point out.. The whole world doesn't work north / south.. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.