Faux stone install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cburke

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
Honeybrook Pennsylvania
Hey guys! Got my new stove installed last week. Have a question about faux stone I would like to surround the walls near the stove in, it's a corner install and I have roughly an inch and a half above the minimum clearance with a double wall pipe off each stove side, if I were to add this faux stone to the walls would I need to leave and air gap between the wall and stone panels, and stove panels and floors, seeing as adding this stone paneling will probably take my minimum clearance down below what it should be. Now the stone company offers the paneling with a specific R value meant to be used by fireplaces and stoves. Which I am obviously going to use just need to know about an air gap and clearances basically. Thanks in advance!

As long as the stone is non-combustible and it is not put up with adhesive glue, it should be ok without the air gap. The clearances are measured to the nearest combustible. What is the actual stone product you want to use? Will you be putting up a backer board like Durock?

As long as the stone is non-combustible and it is not put up with adhesive glue, it should be ok without the air gap. The clearances are measured to the nearest combustible. What is the actual stone product you want to use? Will you be putting up a backer board like Durock?
It's not actually stone it's fake stone panels which I believe screw right into the wall studs behind the drywall. Here is a link to the website. http://www.fauxpanels.com/regency/river-rock-panel.php?color=164

Well, it looks like these are plastic. They are nailed and glued on. I would honor the clearances and then some.

Those panels are made from polyurethane which is considered combustible even when it is class A rated. I guess you could use them when obeying minimum clearances but not go below them. See also this comment from their website:
"We do offer a few product lines with optional Class A Fire Rating which would allow you to place them around a fireplace or behind a wood burning stove given the required clearance according to the stove/fireplace manufacturer and local building codes."
http://www.fauxpanels.com/blog/stone-fireplace-design

Those panels are made from polyurethane which is considered combustible even when it is class A rated. I guess you could use them when obeying minimum clearances but not go below them. See also this comment from their website:
"We do offer a few product lines with optional Class A Fire Rating which would allow you to place them around a fireplace or behind a wood burning stove given the required clearance according to the stove/fireplace manufacturer and local building codes."
http://www.fauxpanels.com/blog/stone-fireplace-design
Well that answers my question! Looks like real stone it is haha.

Well that answers my question! Looks like real stone it is haha.

Good decision, IMHO. I would not feel comfortable having plastic surrounding my stove. An added benefit of real stone will be that it gives you additional thermal mass to even out temp swings. Plus, it should hold up better over the long run than those faux panels. I suspect that the intense radiant heat would have degraded the faux panels faster than in many other applications.

There are a lot of products that fall between real stone and those plastic egg crate panels. Some are concrete based and are more like a tile. Real stone is very heavy and can be very expensive. I would gamble that most of these hearths are using a faux concrete based stone.

I'd also suggest that some fake products will probably melt, even at the minimum clearance. Combustion temps are much higher than melting temps. You're wise to use real stone or search for the fake ones that are made from concrete and use mortar to apply to the durock. I've done that on a ZC fireplace in a restaurant and it looked very nice.

Check out cultured stone/stone veneer.
Most are made from concrete, yet lighter than real stone & non-combustible, and the ones these days look exactly like real stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.