Favorite Accessories for Stove or Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spudman99

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2018
Yardley, PA
I did a search for accessories and the most recent threads are closer to 2010. As a brand new insert owner, I was wondering what accessories you routinely use as part of your burning experience. Tools (not wood cutting or stacking), carrying bags, cleaners (floor and hearth), any humidifiers, air purifiers if needed, electrical tricks to hide cords, insence or other pleasant odor emitters, fans, gloves or stuff you find you use all season long.

As a final thought, post your one favorite adult beverage (or non-alcoholic) you enjoy most when sitting back looking at a warm fire on a cold Saturday night with your special partner next to you or simply having the Hallmark channel on the television.==c

Good leather gloves are a must, ones with a long cuff are best. I use a pair of TIG welding gloves from the local welding shop. They come half way up my forearm. The long cuff helps prevent burning your wrist or arm on the doorway to the stove if you need to reach in and reposition a split.

A small metal ash shovel, a sturdy poker with a hook, a metal bucket with a tight fitting lid for ashes. I keep my IR thermometer nearby to spot check stove and flue temps.

As for my drink of choice usually its a bottle of Yuengling Black and Tan but on a Saturday night it would be Wild Turkey neat.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Miniature fireplace tool set. I started with a full size set that came with the house. The mini size is much easier to work with in a stove. A rake to pull the coals forward during reload, shovel for clean ups and a brush for the hearth. Hardly ever use the poker unless I’ve got to move a log during a burn.

I also like the miniature set because they’ve never caught on fire like my inherited set did... yes you read that right, my old fireplace tool caught on fire. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use much. An Ash bucket and shovel are nessecary. I have an ash take I made to spread out the coals before loading. I really don't like pokers. That is what breaks the vast majority of baffles we see. And I never use gloves myself. But I know many that do.

Welding gloves, Auber temp alarm, canvas wood bag and a small metal tr—ash can. That’s it no pokers, shovels or tongs. If I need to push ashes through the grate I grab a little stick and just leave it in the firebox when done. My favorite is the temp alarm. Most useful are the gloves.

Firestarter gel or squares, I use a ton with the Jotul, not so much with the BK lol. Travel size hair dryer to get my cold flu going the right way, then a plumbers torch to keep it going and light off the starter ( yeah, I have a pain in the ars setup) Elbow length gloves b/c I tend to burn my forearms. Coal take, I prefer my short handled one. Canvas tote

Couple of coal (smokeless) buckets, always have a damp cloth to wipe around as I'm stupidly tidy around my fire even with ash. firelighters, small stick/kindling to straighten up when needed, decent ash bin with a lid,large dish of water with Zoflora in (nice smell) and two boxer dogs that dont care how hot it gets

Stove top thermometer. Just enough of my insert sticks out to put a magnetic unit on top.

Firewood tote. I got a cheap canvas tote from amazon a few years ago and it's damn useful for bringing wood in from the shed.

Large rubbermaid tote for storing wood near the stove.

Fire starters. I made my own for years out of egg cartons, sawdust, and wax. After finding some cheap ones on amazon ($12 for a 2 year supply), I don't see myself making more...even though my homemade ones burned much better.

Air compressor. I'd have one anyway. Pulling the blower off my insert a few times a year and blowing it out makes a huge difference.

Sooteater. I clean my liner 2x a year from the bottom. Takes 15 minutes tops.

I'll take a morning coffee while the fire is getting started.

Eco Fan. It really moves some hot air when the blower is off. Great for over night.

Stove top thermometer. Just enough of my insert sticks out to put a magnetic unit on top.

Firewood tote. I got a cheap canvas tote from amazon a few years ago and it's damn useful for bringing wood in from the shed.

Large rubbermaid tote for storing wood near the stove.

Fire starters. I made my own for years out of egg cartons, sawdust, and wax. After finding some cheap ones on amazon ($12 for a 2 year supply), I don't see myself making more...even though my homemade ones burned much better.

Air compressor. I'd have one anyway. Pulling the blower off my insert a few times a year and blowing it out makes a huge difference.

Sooteater. I clean my liner 2x a year from the bottom. Takes 15 minutes tops.

I'll take a morning coffee while the fire is getting started.
Be careful using air compressor nozzle on the blower motor. I did once and pushed ash into the motor bearings and now its super loud.

Welders gloves
Garden trowel
Old 18" hand forged fork
Cookie tin for fire starters
Long handle corn broom
Dust pan
2x3 wood cart on wheels
Dial flue gauge
Stove top gauge
Synthetic flue brush
Fiberglass flue brush poles
Everything gets used at some point. Some daily, some yearly, all needed here.

Reactions: spudman99
I would add carbon monoxide detector, can’t recall which type of fire extinguisher we have on that floor, switched to an ikea blue bag after someone mentioned that last year (they are surprisingly sturdy), and cats.

I only have a cheap (no I mean really cheap) used tool set right now because I am still working on getting my wood stove installed. My father built a wood stove when I was growing up and I was in charge of it. I loved the canvas bag. A good metal ash can, shovel and broom are a necessity. I will be getting a self igniting propane torch and some kind of gloves this time though. I really want a Stikkan kindling splitter but I will probably have to settle for a MOLLG style splitter for a bit. I have an infrared thermometer already. Probably going to get a bottle of Monte Albon to celebrate once I get it in.

This is not directly related to the post but does anyone know the proper name for metal wood stops that go in the front end of the fire box to keep the wood from rolling and hitting the glass? I want to get a set but I need to know the name to look them up.

LL Bean canvas carrying bag: I use this daily and it has cut down on the mess in the house. I had a cheaper type from Home Depot, but it didn't last anywhere as long as this one.

Cheap whisk broom and pan: Woodstoves can be messy. My wife hates messes.

Covered metal ash pail: Gotta be safe with those hot coals and ashes.

Thermometers: I think these are perhaps my most useful tools . . . especially the flue thermometer which obviously would be of limited use to folks with inserts. The IR thermometer isn't used as often, but I do dig it out a few times each year to confirm when things are getting a little too toasty.

Gloves; I have to admit I don't use these as often as I did . . . but they are still handy when I need t readjust a split after feeding it into a hot firebox.

Miniature fireplace tool set: The broom never gets used, poker is used on occasion but the small, flat shovel is ideal for cleaning out behind the ash pan.