Favorite BBQ recipes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
I cook all the meat I can outdoors just because the kitchen is easier to clean up. And it tastes better, and my wife encourages my playing with fire, tons of reasons really.

Anyway, I am constantly looking for new recipes to try, and figured I would share a couple of my faves.

Bacon wrapped sriracha onion rings. As with all things BBQ the recipe is kind of a general idea, unlike baking where deviating from the written word is asking for disaster.

This short you tube is pretty close to what I do, but:

I go for the red on the outside onions that are purple on the inside when I cut them open.

Usually one big red/purple onion will yield four onion rings that are a couple or three layers thick each and about half an inch tall. Just slice on the equator and then take a half inch slice off each half.

For me I can wrap those for rings using all the bacon slices in a 12 ounce package and come out about even.

Use all the sriracha you want, I probably use 1/4, maybe 1/3 cup with one big onion and 12 ounces of bacon.

When I do it I put all the ingredients onto a cookie sheet, including two bamboo skewers about 10" long, I finish with two bacon wrapped onion rings on each of two bamboo skewers, and all the mess on the cookie sheet.

I tend to smoke these on an upper rack while I have a meat loaf going on the lower rack in a smoker so the the bacon drippings fall on the meatloaf. Usually the bacon is crispy and the onion still crunchy right about the time the meatloaf is done, 60 - 90 minutes at 325-350 dF.

Smoked Stuffed Meatloaf

No Special Recipe But here goes:

Pound out one pound of jimmy dean sausage into a ~12-14 inch square.

Add misc. toppings such as cheese, veggies, pizza sauce, etc.

Roll the whole works up like a giant meat swiss roll.

Create a bacon weave and wrap the meat in the bacon weave.

Smoke with your choice of wood chips ~3-4 hours or until done.

You can make any numbers of flavors. Breakfast with eggs and cheese, Pizza with marinara and pepperoni, etc.