Federal woodburning stove in existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marsar

Aug 3, 2017
Mn
We have a federal wood burning stove inserted into our chimney I had a chimney sweep look at it and he says the four inch flue opening in the fireplace chimney is too small for the back of the stove is there any way to vent this past the 4 inch flue opening with some stainless steel piping up out of the chimney? We were quoted $3,200 to enlarge the flu opening and insert a liner

Last edited by a moderator:
It's common to cut or grind out a section of the damper to clear the damper area. Is this what's being proposed? The price seems a bit high. How tall is the chimney?

It is a standard chimney on a cabin. The back opening vent on the woodstove is I believe 8 inches also. We are hoping to have this stove used as a heating source on shoulder seasons in Wisconsin in the cabin (no other heat source other than space heaters). The guy who inspected seemed to frown on the federal woodburning stove as not a good stove. Any familiarity with this type? I bought it used on craigslist and is very heavy cast iron. Seems very durable and solid

It is an old stove, bought up a couple times over and now sold under the Dutchwest Brand. Do you know the model number. An 8" flue means it's a big stove. Maybe too much for the cabin or chimney size?