Felling a tree with a machine gun?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtp10181

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Marshall, WI
Juts did it on MythBusters. A Gatling gun did the trick. Started the pine tree on fire just before it fell over. Even cut through a mesquite.

Funny Stuff

DriftWood said:
What a waste of lead!!!

Cutting Down a Tree with a Machine Gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2jdlfmaHuk

Modern Day Lumberjerks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNsyECjOoy8

Mythbusters took freshly felled trees and stuck them upright in a hole in the desert. So as not to harm any trees in the testing of the Myth.

Also they found that normal machine guns did not do the trick. They tried a fairly large one with a bipod and it made lots of holes but after 3 full strings of bullets it wouldn't fall. Gatlin gun was the only one that did it.

Reminds me of the scenes in that movie Predator, where they're freaking out and holding down the triggers, plowing down the jungle trying to hit the predator.

went to the Smithsonian in Wash DC in the 70's. In a Civil War exhibit there was a tree stump about 3 ft high, looked like about 18 to 20 inches dbh originally. Came to sharp point, from full diamter 18 inches off ground, to point about 36 inches off ground. The thing was riddled with lead embedded, and the caption was that it had been in the middle of a field and chewed down by rifle fire between the two sides. It was removed from battlefield and sent to museum maybe 1870 or so I think. Given the damage I saw, it was rifle fire, not cannon fire, and I believe they were telling the truth. I don't think it was a hoax in any way.

Definitely made an impression on me then. So I was thinking, unless someone pretty important was hiding behind that tree, how many rounds were going back and forth, across the entire field, to have showered that tree. Maybe it was target practice, but still how many rounds would it take to chew that down, and all hand loaded from the muzzle........

k

I have fell a couple 8" or so trees with my m-16. I was fun but it costs about $50-$75 per tree. After a couple trees I decided my 056 super would be more cost efective.

sixminus1 said:
Reminds me of the scenes in that movie Predator, where they're freaking out and holding down the triggers, plowing down the jungle trying to hit the predator.

ABSOLUTELY my favorite part of that movie. Took out a 4" diameter Ash tree at the hunting cabin with my legal barrel modified Remington 870. Only took a few shots..... at close range.

I have taken out a tree or four in my time using a machine gun!

Thats gunner on TV is pretty lucky. Its not as easy as you'd think.

With a live tree it can sometimes take a couple of belts.
Used my Browning 1919A4 set up in 8mm and my Russian Maxim in 7.62x54R to take them down. I have not taken anything bigger than 12" in diameter.

Next time I will bring the video camera and post a link for you guys.

Cya, Hiram Maxim

I have shot deer and the 44mag slug went thru and hit the tree behind it. I can only imagine what the 870 pumper must be capable of! With ammo prices now adays I can not see someone waisting it on a tree! Unless of course it is in the name of science!!!

burntime said:
With ammo prices now a days I can not see someone waisting it on a tree! Unless of course it is in the name of science!!!

This is true but when you purchased years ago by the pallet its not quite as bad! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.