Fellow member will be burning shortly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Keyman never showed up and waiting around for him caused us a late start

Fellow member Steve Bass and I installed Cath's used Winter warm today
The WinterWarm small was in excellent condition nice Black ceramic color It show no signs of abuse and the cat combustor was in perfect condition

It does need a damper gasket but that is about it. The liner was a Magnaflex kit Decent quality for the price range I would purchase one again

We started out duct taping the leading end after we made some cuts to form a cone shape using 2.5 lb weight as washers .We attached them to either pull with
a rope or if getting stuck the ability on pulling it back out I'm on the roof ,Steve pulling the rope from below we edged the liner down .8/12 clay flues not lined up that well.

a couple ot times back and forth gaining a little ground as it went finally if made it all the way down
Cath's husband Craig then cut out the damper frame pulled the liner threw and with a fine cutting wheel in a 4/5" grinder made a clean cut removing the duct tape cone

Next we positioned the insert in front of the opening using pieces of 1/2" black iron pipe we setup the insert to be rolled in and out I measured out the damper opening and the
liner pipe location and cut a damper plate Craig fastened in in place with tapcons.

This part went smoothly the difficulty was the insert hole did not line up with the liner position. Boy do I wish I had the off set box There was not enough room to use an adjustable 90
elbow .real hard to work in a 4" space. Finally Craig and I figured we only needed part of the 90 elbow we took it apart and use the crimp end anther other end and rejoined the swivel joint it worked. Rolling in the insert with Steve, Craig, and I maneuvered the retrofitted elbow, the liner and stove position, finally we got it connected. This was the most difficult part of the entire job, We got some sheet metal screws in the connection and I gasket cemented the stove collar, connection the liner connection, and a generous glob over the retrofitted elbow joint

Craig headed to the f roof for the final time and t cut the liner to length installed the flue cover ant termination Cap. Steve started picking up the tools and I finished sealing
the damper plate and liner opening..

Good luck with you stove Cath and Craig It was a real pleasure to meet member Steve Bass, Cath, and her husband Craig

Elk,I hope you have some pic's. I wish i lived near you guys to help with a install.

Score another one for the elkman. Great job and two good deeds elk. Two birds with one stone. Cath and Craig are ready to rock and roll and SteveBass is now ready to do his when the time comes.

No picture unless Craig has them. Myself I was way to busy to worry about a camera.

as much fun as it may seem there was work and we started late no cook out either. The object was to get that stove installed. and things did not go all that smoothly

I think I have a soda and one Sam Adams that as it. If I had an offset adapter it would have save an hour easily possibly 2 the times we made adjustments and roll that insert in and out pulled the liner up and down. That meant many trips up the ladder to the roof. No doubt the installation will pass inspections once a hearth extension is in place.

Hey who the hell said that liner is flexible ,not flexible enough when there are lineup issues in a 4" space?

Naturally the flue is not centered but off to the right.

really enjoyed watching Elk work and being able to help out when i could. it was great to see how the liner was installed and how this whole thing went together.

elk's trick to move the insert with small sections of the gas pipes was just awesome

Sorry I couldn't make it Elk -unsceduled work crap got in the way - sounds like it all worked out well - good job!

"Fellow member will be burning shortly"

Did you season him or her well?
I assume so, because they will be burning shortly. Less seasoned members actually burn overnight, but I've had a hard time fitting them into small winterwarms.

Then again, it depends on which kind of "members" you are burning!
:coolsmirk:

Good Job, elk steve craig cath!

elkimmeg said:
No picture unless Craig has them. Myself I was way to busy to worry about a camera.

as much fun as it may seem there was work and we started late no cook out either. The object was to get that stove installed. and things did not go all that smoothly

I think I have a soda and one Sam Adams that as it. If I had an offset adapter it would have save an hour easily possibly 2 the times we made adjustments and roll that insert in and out pulled the liner up and down. That meant many trips up the ladder to the roof. No doubt the installation will pass inspections once a hearth extension is in place.

Hey who the hell said that liner is flexible ,not flexible enough when there are lineup issues in a 4" space?

Naturally the flue is not centered but off to the right.
Elk you know I would have been there if I had not been in NC but it sounds like all went well... Again great job I wish there were more Elk and Corie types out there....
you guys are awesome........ Great job and cheers to all of you..... :)

Glad everything went well....Our offset boxes make installation truly easier... Some people are under the impression that a flexible stainless steel liner will bend and roll like an aluminum pipe... I currently have a customer that wants a three inch pipe by 4 inches and they want it to be flexible to help mounting an appliance together.. I informed them that they might as well have a rigid pipe because it offers the same amount of flexibility... they weren't convinced untill they got the projection model...

Status
Not open for further replies.