Fiberglass storage tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill the Dog

Mar 10, 2008
Central Wisconsin
Good day all,
I know that plastic 500 gallon storage tanks won't work for hot water storage. I know that many people are using old 500 and 1000 gallon steel LP tanks. Has anyone tried using fiberglass water tanks for storage? I've possibly found some and I think that they should work, but I'd sure love to hear proof positive that they would do the job for me.

Thanks in advance
Bill the Dog

There are threads on this too. I think the outcome was that some of the epoxies used in fiberglass construction won't hold up. You'd want to talk to an engineer at the company that made them. The consequences of failure are not pretty.

There is hi-temp fiberglass, but it is very pricey. Check the specs carefully before going the fiberglass route.

Status
Not open for further replies.