Fill water question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kuribo

Feeling the Heat
Dec 10, 2007
SW WI
Hello-

I am in the final stages of installing an econburn 200 with 1000 gallons of pressurized storage feeding infloor radiant tubing. I have well water with a water softener. My water is hard, about 20 grains with tds around 250-300. I have read various things about what is best for boiler fill water. Seems many recommend DI (de-ionized or de-mineralized water). Getting roughly 1500 gallons of di water will be expensive. Econoburn tells me to use the softened water and 6 gallons of rectorseal 8-way, though the rectorseal people recommend a gallon per 120 gallons of water, which would be really expensive at $40 a gallon.

So what are folks filling their systems with? Any experience of advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Our town water is the best in the territory i was told by my friend that is a heating guy.
He had a big filter that he lent me to run it through.

I have pretty good well water but added a conditioner into it anyway. I was thinking about all the pump seals.

This reminds me to check for sediment in my tanks and boiler.

I contacted wood boiler solutions and was told no softened water. Buy the water test kit, send him a sample of your well water, and they will let you know if it will work or not.
My well water had high sodium chloride and was told not to use. I borrowed a 250 gallon tote and transfer pump and hauled water from local city. About 10 miles each way. I also purchased chemical to be on the safe side because it’s a closed system and won’t evaporate. They told me what was needed.
Test kit was like $20. I think it was a quarter for 50 gallons water from city. Chemical was around 500$ . It took me half a day to fill 1000 gallons by myself. Good luck