Filling Space between Chimney and Floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ICY99

Sep 29, 2008
CENTRAL, NY
Hello,

The chimney goes right up through the center of my house. We are doing some remodeling and now want the entire chimney to be exposed. It used to be behind a wall. It is 17x17 block. The problem is that there is a gap of about 3" all the way around it where it comes from the basement up to the 1st floor. There is no fire hazard as there is no burning in the basement. Any ideas/experience on sealing the gap?

Thanks!

ICY99 said:
Hello,

The chimney goes right up through the center of my house. We are doing some remodeling and now want the entire chimney to be exposed. It used to be behind a wall. It is 17x17 block. The problem is that there is a gap of about 3" all the way around it where it comes from the basement up to the 1st floor. There is no fire hazard as there is no burning in the basement. Any ideas/experience on sealing the gap?

Thanks!

Please provide some pics, thanks.

That gap may be a code requirement... There are spacing requirements for clearance between a chimney and combustible materials, so you may be limited in what you can do to close that gap... As stated, pictures may be helpful in figuring out what your best approach might be.

Gooserider

I appreciate the replies. My question is now obsolete as I have decided to completely tear out the block chimney and replace with a Class A stainless. Thanks for your time anyway.

Glad to have helped... Good luck with the new project, and bear in mind that the stainless chimney still has clearance requirements. The manual for whatever product you're installing should have the details and listings of the hardware required for a safe installation.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.