Finally burning again after 6 days off...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecfinn

Dec 12, 2005
Ambler, PA
Well after all the warm weather we've been having here on the mid-atlantic region I finally had a reason to fireup the insert again this morning. 36 outside and the weather actually felt a little like January for a change. I've been running my heat-pump the last week with temps in the 50s-60s during the day. I couldn't even really burn it at night because its been 45-50 when I turn in for the night. I let the stove go out last Sunday morning and I've been going through withdrawal. Of course now the house is up to 76 and its 41 outside so I probably won't be able to burn again until tonight but it felt good to light it off again. Anyone else struggling with wood-heating this winter like I am with these crazy temps?

Later,
Eric

Well- me!
Lots of folks, I'd imagine.

I let the fire go out last weekend and did a midseason cleaning early in the week. But I caved and started it back up Wednesday evening- my basement (where the insert is) is fairly cool year round and if I can get the thing to draft I will have my fire! Fortunately my liner drafts very well and I can burn even when it is in the low 50's. A waste of wood, I know, but I love it so. The room feels empty without a fire.
Of course I have to keep the blower off to keep from having a heat stroke, but so be it. This is when I use all those pesky odd pieces of wood with long branch collars or knotty protuberances- the ugly pieces. I see it as "cleaning up the woodpiles" instead of wasting wood.

I let it burn out Sunday too.
I only turned the heat on to get the chill out in the AM & PM.

No burning until Thursday night, the winds were wicked off the lake.
I have a small hot fire now & probably won't need to do another until tonight supposed to be 27 tonight.

Been burning on/off since Sunday. Cleaned some couch cushions so I fires it up to dry them out. Looks like I'll be back to 24/7 next week with snow in the forecast and temps. in the 30's.

I just brought in half a face cord and started the fire again.

Still kept the stove going 24/7 though where I am its been down close to freezing or just below everynight and only up in the 50's briefly during the daytime for two days. Did bank a bunch of ash and coals in a far corner of the stove on the morning of one of those warmer days, then left a small fire for the day. Stove was cool enough that evening that it allowed me to take the combustor out and remove the stove pipe and clean everything quickly. Put it back together, raked through the banked ash pile and had enough coals to get it going again. Still haven't needed another match to light my stove since Oct 25th. The soapstone cat stove is great for slow small fires just to keep the chill off and holding coals for a long time in those kind of warm spells.

Hmmmm... I'm getting 5 split cords Monday.
It's not for next year, so I guess it'll have to wait til the new snow melts again!

Saw a strange yellow orb in the sky today. What could it be? Oops, it didn't last long so back to the pewter skies of Oregon. Do have a wimpy fire today although it's 75 in and 50 out. Later this week we get our lowest, so far, overnight temps - 25. I'm anxious to see if all I've learned so far will help. I have my dry kindling, small dry splits and super duper seasoned oak ready to go. Bring 'er on

Personally, I looked at the warmer temps as a nice break from the normal 24/7 routine. I must admit I enjoyed not getting up in the middle of the night to reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.