Finally came across pellets that heat poorly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msh227

Nov 20, 2010
Eastern PA
I poorly planned for this burn season and was only able to get 1 ton of pellets before I started burning and ended up with premium hardwood pellets from TSC ($209).

Yesterday I went to TSC and noticed they had a different brand of pellets from Missouri (forget brand of pellets but they were in a white bag with all blue lettering and blue logo). I bought one bag to try and noticed immediately that these pellets do not burn as hot as other brands I have used in the past. I burned them last night and most of this morning and the temperature in my house never rose past 64. Usually the room temperature is between 70-75 with the premium hardwood pellets I have.

I guess I will be looking for a different supplier for my 2nd ton with the coldest parts of winter coming. These pellets would make for a good early season burn when temps dont drop below freezing.

Kind of sucks though since TSC has best price in my area but I can't afford to pay the same price for this new brand they are carrying when the burn quality is poor.

Oh well....

You should be able to get Fireside Ultras or Stove Chow from Home Depot for $209. Either of those would be an improvement for the same price. You did clean your stove before trying the new pellets though, correct?

You should be able to get Fireside Ultras or Stove Chow from Home Depot for $209. Either of those would be an improvement for the same price. You did clean your stove before trying the new pellets though, correct?

in holbrook, ma right beside braintree south shore pellets sell barefoots for $294 a ton

in holbrook, ma right beside braintree south shore pellets sell barefoots for $294 a ton

Unfortunately, that's 2 hours round trip and a whole ton of gas money in the old Dodge. I'll spend $188 at HD with a coupon for the Ultras and save the 40% over the Barefoots and only spend $5.00 on gas. I may have to burn a few more pellets, but in the long run (actually the short run), it's a much better deal.

Thanks for the heads up though. If anyone knows where I could get Barefoots, Somersets, or any other true premium pellet near Groton, MA let me know.

Yeah I cleaned the stove, it was rather amazing how much difference there was in heat quality. After the bag was burned I threw in some of my Premium Hardwood Pellets (without cleaning) and the heat was immediately felt. Pretty interesting.

Is there a thread or website that talks about the different pellet manufacturers? I'm assuming that some manufacturers are making more than one brand name of pellet, correct??

Yeah I cleaned the stove, it was rather amazing how much difference there was in heat quality. After the bag was burned I threw in some of my Premium Hardwood Pellets (without cleaning) and the heat was immediately felt. Pretty interesting.

Is there a thread or website that talks about the different pellet manufacturers? I'm assuming that some manufacturers are making more than one brand name of pellet, correct??

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/same-pellet-different-bags.102509/#post-1320431

just for reference, the premium pellets (not the crappy missouri ones) from tsc are in all likelihood mwp blend.

either they have a stove pictured on the bag or a cabin and a couple of trees.
i could be wrong. but i'm fairly sure.

I ended up with a pallet load of those last year from TSC...mostly compressed bark and worthless. This year I had a choice of beetle killed pine from Colorado...much better and far less ash!

When I get home this evening I'll check to see which Premium Pellets I have that I bought later summer 2012 from TSC.

71ab1197965a26d2e4379f8b23c36ebb_XL.jpg

These are the pellets I'm currently burning that I got at TSC. Premier not Premium my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.