Finally hooked up OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the same boat :). Just finished mine!

I'm thinking I need to insulate my OAK. It's starting to drip on the floor. Guess that means its working.

Temps in the 40s , even overnight, makes it hard to get much of a feel for any possible effect, should be able to tell more end of the week.

Gotta say, really does feel quite a bit warmer in the cellar today, down around 0 outside this morning, 14 this afternoon, seems a lot more comfortable down there than in other cold snaps over the years. At this point, gotta give it a ::DT+

Reactions: jtakeman
My wife and I were talking about OAK's. I decided to try something. I pulled the OAK from the wall thimble and boy could you feel the cold air pouring into the house! I stuck a rag in the hole and cracked the sliding door in the room with the stove. A definite breeze came in. Hooked the OAK back up (after removing the rag!) and cracked the door open again. No breeze. That was impressive. These stoves use lots of air! Wife was impressed. She asked where the stove would be getting its air if it didn't have an OAK and I said anywhere it could. Cool experiment. (literally).

Ayuh, haven't done it before, 'cuz it's kinda a long run for the pipe, had to cut a hole in the sill plate to run out, cap it off, gonna hafta watch snow line, yaddayadda........

Just finished installing ours as well. Actually pretty much a fresh install - we moved it from the basement (without OAK) to our living room (with). I can already see a difference - in both heating the upstairs better which is obvious, plus the stove seems to be running nice & hot while using less pellets. Pretty excited to see how long we can go before seeing the oil man again :)

The dog door eight feet from my stove is my OAK.

I have a yellow lab, so the dog door is a big one! I can see a little bit of light all around it.

Dave

The dog door eight feet from my stove is my OAK. I have a yellow lab, so the dog door is a big one! I can see a little bit of light all around it. Dave
Now imagine 60 CFM of air coming in through that door. If the door is 18" wide by 30" tall, that's a 16 foot long column of air entering every minute.

Hooked up my oak yesterday. We shall see I'm hoping its not so drafty by my front door. Can't tell if its burning any better as I gave the stove a complete cleaning and LBT at the same time.

I had a huge breeze coming in from the oak I could not believe how much came in. I cut the whole last week and had a towel stuffed in it, so I do think the house pressure was a issue before it.

Reactions: DexterDay
Hooked up my oak yesterday. We shall see I'm hoping its not so drafty by my front door. Can't tell if its burning any better as I gave the stove a complete cleaning and LBT at the same time.

I had a huge breeze coming in from the oak I could not believe how much came in. I cut the whole last week and had a towel stuffed in it, so I do think the house pressure was a issue before it.

Go put your hand, an incense stick, cigg, or cigar in front of the OAK intake with that Quad running....

Some say because Quads are NOT a sealed OAK, that they do not work. Well I say its HOGWASH. :) Mine worked awesome before I sealed it up (factory form), then i applied High temp silicone and foil tape to seal it up as best I could.

OAK's work. . . :cool:

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Go put your hand, an incense stick, cigg, or cigar in front of the OAK intake with that Quad running....

Some say because Quads are NOT a sealed OAK, that they do not work. Well I say its HOGWASH. :) Mine worked awesome before I sealed it up (factory form), then i applied High temp silicone and foil tape to seal it up as best I could.

OAK's work. . . :cool:

I sealed the base with clear silicone as well as the packaging holes in the bottom with high temp silicone. Need to seal the burn chamber still theres some cracks there. I think its making a difference Ill know tomorrow as its supposed to be close to 0 tonight. BTW thanks for your pictures on the classic bay oak you have it came in handy. I ended up using a exhaust manifold flange and one of Duravent OAK kits.

Reactions: DexterDay
Now imagine 60 CFM of air coming in through that door. If the door is 18" wide by 30" tall, that's a 16 foot long column of air entering every minute.

Not really, because there's a door in that hole. I have a 1/16" crack around the edge of that door. Yeah, there's a draft coming through that crack, but the porch is quite toasty. Even without the dog door, I'm sure that the porch is far from air tight, it is a porch after all!

I figure that I saved $300 in heating oil last year by putting a pellet stove on the enclosed porch.

Dave

Well I must say I give my OAK a thumbs up after last night it got to -6F. Much fewer cold spots in the house. The burn seemed the same but I no longer have a cold spot right at my front door.

Reactions: CtPaul
Well I must say I give my OAK a thumbs up after last night it got to -6F. Much fewer cold spots in the house. The burn seemed the same but I no longer have a cold spot right at my front door.
It's good that you're happy with the OAK. The fact that you had a cold spot at the front door is an indication that the seals on your door may be leaking.

I
I agree...i'm going to really look/feel around tonight
Btw I just order some new door seal yesterday for my doors

Status
Not open for further replies.