Finally............... insert going in on Thursday...................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wait is almost over!I know how you feel.Remember!Lets see some pictures when install is done. :)

I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen. The more I learned, the more difficult it got, to make a decision on a installer. Also, the more confusing it got, at times. Finally went with the ol timer, that has done it for 30 years. He has been so willing to answer all my questions, (which as you all know, I had a ton of questions) and also so willing to do it, as I wished. My wishes and his expertise, should be great combination, don't you think? :) I think I learned more about inserts than I learned in nursing school................. Kind of scary............... just kidding.............

woodsie8 said:
I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen. The more I learned, the more difficult it got, to make a decision on a installer. Also, the more confusing it got, at times. Finally went with the ol timer, that has done it for 30 years. He has been so willing to answer all my questions, (which as you all know, I had a ton of questions) and also so willing to do it, as I wished. My wishes and his expertise, should be great combination, don't you think? :) I think I learned more about inserts than I learned in nursing school................. Kind of scary............... just kidding.............
Ha your going to have some pretty warm winter coming to you.I'm learning that wood heat sould have been in my life a long time ago.Also my wife thinks I'm crazy there is so much to learn.she always saids tto me ITS ONLY WOOD. Burning clean seasoned wood is the key to great heat.Making sure you have enough seasoned wood for the winter is the challenge

Oh, c'mon, Kim...don't be so hasty to jump into this thing. Don't you have a few hundred more questions before you pull the trigger on the install? :lol: Besides, it's 90* out today, I think just maybe our burning season's over for the year (finally!), so you've got plenty of time. Rick

Good point, Kim, and good for you for all the tenacious research you've done. I'm sure you'll enjoy your insert next season. In the meantime, you can split and stack and split and stack and look forward to that first glorious fire of the fall. Congratulations, and well done for the way you've done it. Be careful with those Fiskars tools, they're mighty sharp!. :gulp: Rick

fossil said:
Good point, Kim, and good for you for all the tenacious research you've done. I'm sure you'll enjoy your insert next season. In the meantime, you can split and stack and split and stack and look forward to that first glorious fire of the fall. Congratulations, and well done for the way you've done it. Be careful with those Fiskar tools, they're mighty sharp!. :gulp: Rick
Fiskar is going to work on some pine tomorrow.
Got the twenty ton splitter and a sharp ass fiskar. Im thinking I"ve have about 5 to 51/2 cords
GET ER DONE
Rick Do you have there Fiskar sharpener Or your own sharping stone?

Burd said:
...Rick Do you have there Fiskar sharpener Or your own sharping stone?

Hey Burd...I have the little Fiskars sharpener tool, and it works fine for touching up the blades. I also have files and sharpening stones and such, for other tools I use in my shop. I've found, so far, that the Fiskars tools are crafted from such fine steel that, properly used and cared for, they only require a bit of touch-up from time to time to keep them sharp. I use the Fiskars sharpener, and occasionaly a flat file if I have a little gouge in the cutting edge of the axe. I don't wanna start grinding on them, because I'm afraid if I do, I'll lose the hardness of the tool...and I don't think there's any reason to. Don't put your fine axe through nails! Rick

Rick I hit something the other week and I put a nick in the blade. I guess I should use a fine file the nick isnt that big but Its there.

Use a light touch with a fine flat file...you don't have to remove much material at all, just restore the blade profile on the sides, don't try to take away every trace of the nick. Touch up the edge with a whetstone, and yer back in biz. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.