Finding a Jetstream Boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HerculesEngine

Feb 13, 2024
Rochester, NY
Hello All,
Brand new to this forum. After looking at many different water storage gasifier designs I am intrigued by the old Jetstream boilers and am wondering if there are many of these left in use stateside? I am enamored by their simplicity and prefer an external storage tank. It seems like most of these reside with our northern neighbors with some pushing 40 years old. What are the chances of finding a new, old stock or good used Jetstream in the states? Wondering if a listing in the classifieds section of this site is my best bet? Any other opinions on these units are welcome. Thanks!

Tom in Maine one of the members on this site has one for sale on Craigslist in Searsport Maine recently. Great guy is very well versed on these units.

Its very rare for these to pop up and the price is right. Odds are you snooze and you will loose. Sadly he has shut down his storage business (its for sale in the for sale forum).

I look forward to hearing about your project.

This is a Jetstream midway through a batch burn. The smoke is non-existent and just a little to hot to inhale comfortably!! The boiler achieved 98% complete combustion.
IMGP3758.JPG

The large refractory base is what made it so efficient. The top of the 1000 gallon storage would top out at 195 F and the bottom at 160 F. I would run the circulator another 2 hours after the fire was out and the heat trapped in the refractory would raise the bottom of the storage to 180/185 F.
If you find one, you will learn to work with refractory, and I would be happy to coach you as would Tom!

Thanks for the additional information. Properly driving the moisture out of and/or recasting refractory will be newly acquired skills for me. Familiar with the earlier from some metal casting I did as a kid. What stack temperatures are you seeing out of your Jetstream once it’s well into a batch burn? Thanks.

Reactions: hobbyheater
There was one in use in my town for years.
It was removed as the owner went to propane after his storage died.
He passed away not long ago,i could see if anything is left now that he is gone it may be available for parts or to rebuild if the family wants to clean up.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Thanks for the additional information. Properly driving the moisture out of and/or recasting refractory will be newly acquired skills for me. Familiar with the earlier from some metal casting I did as a kid. What stack temperatures are you seeing out of your Jetstream once it’s well into a batch burn? Thanks.
The picture was taken with the Jetstream running , no wood smoke smell , just warm air just a little hot to be comfortable to inhale !