Cranking through the wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I have had a colder than normal stretch up in NH. It is supposed to get to the low teens tonight. My wood pile is definitely showing it.

My plans for alterations to my heating system got sidetracked after finding I needed a new combustion chamber for my "new to me" backup oil boiler so I am running my prior configuration. One of the alterations was to add a new much larger expansion tank as my existing ones have always been borderline on my system. I picked up a new 8 gallon Amtrol bladder tank on craiglist, it will have plenty of capacity. Its just is not going to fit where the old ones were but I have spot and taking out the old ones will really free up some more valuable space.

I dont know when the backup boiler will be swapped in, the old one works but its showing its age (30 plus years). I have started the rounds of trying to get a System 2000 dealer to either swap out the chamber or sell me the parts (my preference). It is nice that Energy Kinetics protects their dealers by refusing to sell to anyone else but to date few if any of the dealers they refer me to even return phone calls. Given its low usage I am tempted to just build a chamber from stock ceramic board.

I rebuilt the burning chamber on my backup oil boiler this year
I wanted to get the factory ones,but like you i found no love on the phone.
I bought some 1/4 flat fireproof sheeting which i cut to fit the chamber.Wasn't real happy about how it was fitting or happy about it staying in place.
I came across a good deal on a "wet pack" so i installed it over the sheeting and am happy with the results.

We had some unseasonal cool weather in Oct and I thought winter was here it warmed back up and Nov was pretty nice. Only been running one load a day in the Garn normally this time of the year is two or sometimes three in Dec. Weather has been nice enough I haven't been working in the shop so that heat hasn't been on much. That saves on the wood. Its the same around this area trying to find any one to do any work is hard. We have been so dry my drain tile for the first time in twenty years has quit running water in my basement. Been trying to find someone to come out and cut the concrete and remove my old sump basin and install two new bigger ones for more capacity and have room for more pumps when we have a rainy season again. No luck finding any one. The water proofing companies want to tear tear the whole system out and start over. I will probably either do it my self or just forget. My old body doesn't like digging holes by hand any more. Its worked for twenty years running one pump and having my back up ready to put in the pit. I went to a commercial pump ten years ago and that fixed my pump issues. I would just like more capacity to cut down on the pump cycling.